Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetmelissa157 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2013, 07:13 AM
    Moma cat nursing older cats.
    I have a moma cat who had kittens about eight months ago. She had three and we kept them all. Moma cat recently had another litter but sadly these babies didn't make it. She rejected them. In the last 2 weeks moma cat has started nursing the older kittens that were born about 8 months ago. Is this normal or will this hurt the moma cat? The kittens are as big as moma is and so it looks funny when we find them nursing.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Nov 21, 2013, 09:52 AM
    A lot of animals will adopt babies that aren't theirs when they lose a litter, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part. What I would worry a little bit about is three full grown cats nursing from her, because her body just isn't built to produce that much milk. If they're nursing too much or too often, she might end up losing weight and getting sick from malnourishment. Her body will automatically put whatever nutrients are needed into making milk, not leaving enough for herself.

If the behavior doesn't stop on its own, in a couple weeks and before she starts losing weight, then you'll need to wean them. When you see them nursing, chastise them and pull them away. If that doesn't work, then you can take a sock or shirt sleeve, depending on her size, and cut it so it's a tube and slip it over her abdomen like a tube top. That will make it hard for them to nurse, but she might take it off and you'll need to readjust it several times a day. A last resort would be segregating her away from the rest of the cats until her milk dries up, probably at least a couple weeks. However, I would be hesitant to do that since she just lost a litter and obviously needs contact with the other cats.

I would avoid typical aversion therapy methods, like spraying water or making a loud noise when an unwanted action occurs, because it would also punish the mother and it might discourage all of them from being around each other. I doubt you want a house of cats that are afraid or unwilling to be near each other.

You could try putting cones on the kids, but they would have to stay on for at least a couple weeks for mom's milk to dry up, and a lot of cats don't handle cones well.

Have you thought about getting mom fixed? Are the kids fixed? It would prevent any future trauma from losing another litter, and keep you from ending up with 27 cats in your house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long before a cats milk dries up after stopping nursing [ 1 Answers ]

My cat had kittens and they all died. I want to find someone who has newborn kittens that we can abopt 1 or 2 for my cat to raise. I need to know how long before my cats milk dries up, considering that there are no kittens currently drinking off her.

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

Mom cats teats swollen, nursing kittens not deficating. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a mom cat (Church) and she had four kittens on 03/21/2008. On April 7th I had taken one of the kittens to the vet because I noticed she had labored breathing and she was not nursing. She started gasping for air, shook a little, and died in my hands before the Dr. was even able to see her. ...

2 older cats [ 2 Answers ]

Recently, I have notice my 2 (indoor/outdoor) cats not eating or hardly eating, like they normally would. I had bought a different brand of cat food for them to enjoy, and they both snubbed it. I then bought their regular food and still, they are snubbing the food dish. This has been going on for...

Older kittens still nursing! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new, just got started today and I really need some help! My husband and I "adopted" some stray cats, a mom and her five kittens. We have done all of the things we are supposed to do, as far as getting shots, fixed , etc. except we are having one problem.. . These kittens, after having...

View more questions Search