Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confusedinny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2013, 12:04 PM
    NEW YORK STATE Family Law question- Father willing to give up parental rights.
    Hi there,

I have read A lot of posts but have been unable to find anything similar to my situation.

I live in NY State and I am well aware that laws vary by state.

After four miserable years in and out of court in regards to my 5 year old daughter, her father has vocalized that he wishes to give up his parental rights to her.

I currently have sole custody.
    He has visitation but has refused to see her, call her, or have any contact with her.
    He does pay child support. He is behind but does make minimum payments.
    He had documented psychological issues, including a suicide attempt a few years back.
    He is now a convicted felon, unrelated to the custody.

I do agree that it would be best that he relenquishes his parental rights.
    I would forgo child support.

The issue I am having is I have been told in NY State that unless another man is willing to be an adoptive parent then the judge will not entertain the request.

I have no intentions of remarrying or seeking out a "substitute" father for my daughter. I am happy single.

Anyone with any NY State advise? Please help...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2013, 01:24 PM
    Why do you think it would be best for him to relinquish his rights? He is not using those rights now, so what do you think would be gained by having him relinquish them?

The only thing I can see that you might want is to remove his visitation so he can't try to enforce the visitation rights at some future time. But I don't see any advantage in having his rights terminated.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedinny
    The issue I am having is I have been told in NY State that unless another man is willing to be an adoptive parent then the judge will not entertain the request.
    What you have been told is correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family law-parental rights [ 0 Answers ]

DCFS has just removed my 2 step-sons and their half-sister and placed them ine and my husbands care. However, there are no biological ties between us and the little girl and now her maternal grandparents are filing for an intervention for custody of her. She cannot be placed with her father, as...

What if the father of my son wants to give up parental rights? [ 3 Answers ]

What if the father of my son wants to give up parental rights to avoid paying child support can I still receive child support?

Can a father give up parental rights in tn? [ 10 Answers ]

My son is almost 6. His bio-father and I split before he was born. I got with my boyfriend when my son was 8-10 months old. Father had little to nothing to do with son for first 2-3 years. To make the long story shomewhat short, bio-father hasn't seen son in over a year. No child support for almost...

How do I give up my parental rights in the state of GA? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had an ongoing battle with my sons grandmother she is the mother of the father of my kids she wants custody of my son and not my two daughters. This has been an ongoing fight for the past 13 years. Today she was awarded custody and I will not pay her any child support. So how do I sign over...

Getting father to give up parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Toronto Canada, I am separated from my abusive husband, we have a daughter he has not seen in her in three months, I do not want child support from him. I feel it is in my daughters best interest to have nothing to do with him or his family. I have three other children from my first...

View more questions Search