Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Mar 30, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Small Claims: Loan vs Gift
    This Small Claims Trial will be held in Alabama:

I recently had an ex-friend served for a loan of $500.00 that only carried a verbal agreement to repay (the agreement was made during the relationship, prior to making the loan). Prior to filing the summons an attorney was consulted and attempted to collect the unpaid loan as a courtesy due to the small amount (to no avail) and a certified final demand payment letter was sent to the individual by me. Also a barrage of emails were exchanged regarding the loan. While organizing my receipts, atty letters to the defendant, notarized letters and emails in preparation of the small claims trial - as the defendant now denys owing the money and states his reason as no more than harassment by me - I read one email in which I sent to the defendant in the heated exchanges of emails which stated, "I have decided to cut my losses because it is apparent that you will not repay me the money in full that was loaned to help you." However, the certified final demand payment letter and attorney's letters followed that particular email correspondence.

Question: Does that one statement turn the loan into a gift? And how would I address the statement in the email should the defendant show up in court and present that particular email as his defense?

I am not betting that he will remember the email but I don't put anything past him. I've realized that even with documentation, once people start to be dishonest, they tend to continue to lie and he is that type of individual to hold onto his lie until the very end & use anything to help keep his lie afloat.

Thank you,

Novice Plaintiff
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2007, 06:15 PM
    You can tell the Judge this…

Judge, It was a loan, that email clearly showed how frustrated I was at trying to collect this money from him.

And at that point, I thought it would just be more aggravation that it would be worth to try and sue him for it.

But then I changed my mind after talking with a friend who said going to small claims court isn't so bad.

He owes me this money Judge.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 06:19 PM
    No, the email does not turn the loan into a gift. If you are asked about that statement at trial you can state that it was your attempt at achieving some sort of settlement with the defendant. Since the defendant failed to respond you are proceeding with the action for the full amount.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 06:23 PM
    No, and of course a verbal contract is a contract still very legal and still very binding, just a little harder to prove.

Sound like they will have to pay when they get to court
    stunna005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 12:11 PM
    Even with that statement in the email that you are discharging the contract, it is still not a legal way to discharge a contract. So you should be good :)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 21, 2010, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Noviceplaintiff View Post
    ... one email ... stated, "I have decided to cut my losses because it is apparent that you will not repay me the money in full that was loaned to help you." ...
    Question: Does that one statement turn the loan into a gift? ...
    I don't see how it does. The part about cutting losses? Ambiguous at best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims [ 7 Answers ]

My car was hit back in April. Since no one was hurt, and I was in such a hurry to get where I was going, I did not call the police. I quickly jotted down the man's information myself. However, I cannot get money out of the guy. He said he would pay and now isn't. The damage is approx $400.00. ...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue in small claims court... the situation is... I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened... I canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost... it was all on his credit card... when it came back to his card he never gave me the...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue someone in small claims court... he is a German man... he has lived in America for many years... speaks English well... his wife is telling me I must pay for an interrupter as English isn't his native language... he has got a drivers license in the us.. as well as has got a...

Took ex boyfriend to small claims, HELP [ 4 Answers ]

I took my ex boyfriend to small claims because he owes me $2,600. And I won, but I am having trouble getting the money. I tried to garnish his wages, he works with his grandfather, so they lied and said he is working part time. So I couldn't garnish. What do I do?? I want to know if I can take...

View more questions Search