Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moreliberty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2013, 05:45 AM
    Canceled ADT security service; now actual alarm doesn't work
    I canceled my ADT alarm service two months ago. Up until today the alarm worked, it just wasn't monitored. Now the chime no longer works, I can't arm it but there is a green power light on. I want it to work, just don't want the monitoring.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 07:20 AM
    In your contract, who owns the equipment ? Did you get someone to disconnect the auto dialer or phone connections to the box ?

Nov 20, 2013, 09:47 AM
    No we did not. We simply just canceled our subscription/service. The connection with ADT was via cellular.

Nov 22, 2013, 01:25 PM
    Canceld ADT alarm monitoring, now the whole system has been disabled
    My wife and I wanted to save the $38 per month so I canceled my ADT alarm monitoring service. We stilled wanted to use the alarm for the audible siren, and chime as they has some security value. Two months after the cancellation it no longer works at all. The power light is on but I can't do anything else. I called ADT and they said with that system it has to be used with the monitoring service. Are there any codes I could use to turn it back on? Anything?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 22, 2013, 01:27 PM
    You bought the system through ADT, correct? They are not going to give you something that will work on its own without using their service. I doubt there is anything you can do other than get their service back...or maybe buy some of your own alarms from Radio Shack or somewhere like that.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 22, 2013, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moreliberty View Post
    My wife and I wanted to save the $38 per month so I canceled my ADT alarm monitoring service. We stilled wanted to use the alarm for the audible siren, and chime as they has some security value. Two months after the cancellation it no longer works at all. The power light is on but I can't do anything else. I called ADT and they said with that system it has to be used with the monitoring service. Are there any codes I could use to turn it back on? Anything?
    You cancelled the service, but still want something from them for nothing?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 23, 2013, 06:57 AM
    Much as I have no use for ADT (they used to phone harass me no end), you can't expect the alarm to work alone from any security company that does monitoring as their business.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2013, 08:34 AM
    You say that the chime doesn't work but then add that you can't arm the system. By chime, I assume that you are referring to sounds made by the keypad (s). But, if you can't arm it, it needs to be reprogrammed. They most likely disabled your existing control panel via the phone hookup, and your chance of reprogramming is between slim and none. The power light being on really means nothing as regards getting the system operational. You have what some refer to as a doorstop as that is about the only thing you can use the components for.
    The savings you will realize on monitoring for a year will more than buy you a high quality system from one of the many online suppliers.
    If the original system was wired, you may be able to use the existing wiring, but you will have to carefully identify the existing connections before removing the old control panel. Or you can install a new wireless system depending on your preference. I prefer a wired system.
    You can also make use of relatively inexpensive cameras which you can access through your computer and monitor remotely with many different devices. We have neighbors who monitor their cameras remotely from Iraq, where they work as contract security officers.
    If you not certain whether your ADT equipment was purchased outright or leased, ship the components back to ADT via certified mail.
    Phone companies and cable tv companies in my area are getting into alarm systems and monitoring now. It is a gold mine.
    Don't forget also, you have lost your fire detection monitoring. Taking steps to reduce fire risk is a critical task for all of us. Include a well designed smoke and fire detection, and a loud siren and/or bell to alert neighbors, in your system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cancelled ADT service but my alarm keeps beeping. [ 2 Answers ]

The alarm is a GE Security part No: 60-806 60-806-95R. I have disconnected the battery in the main box and disconnected the phone. I still get beeping. Can you help?

Cancelled ADT service but my alarm keeps beeping and trouble light on. WHY? [ 17 Answers ]

Cancelled ADT service but my alarm keeps beeping and trouble light on. WHY?

Adt alarm fc question [ 4 Answers ]

If I didconnect the battery from the command box will my fc light stop flashing, but will the alarm sou and still alert me if doirs open >Threads merged<

ADT honeywel security galaxy z-12 alarm system won't stop beeping [ 2 Answers ]

ADT honeywel security galaxy z-12 alarm system won't stop beeping every 20 seconds ever since the phone line got disconnected. It is driving my family crazy! I've tried to call adt but I get told to send an engineer out to fix it. Yeah thanks at 130£ Can anyone help? Many thanks if you can

ADT alarm problem [ 2 Answers ]

Adt alarm not set but stars bleeping randomly, was happening occastionaly every couple of days but now every 10 minutes or so, also green light constantly flashing

View more questions Search