Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diacutters Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
    PVC water pipes in new construction
    Must PVC water pipes be inside the walls?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Haven't seen much PVC anymore for supply -CPVC and PEX dominate. PVC is widely used as drains. In 1 story slab homes much.of the supply is through the floor not the walls. In short, the answer is NO.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 15, 2013, 07:51 PM
    PVC, if left exposed to the elements, will brittle and eventually crack. Also, if left unprotected, it can be easily damaged. Therefore, I suggest you hide PVC plumbing inside the wall / ceilings / crawl spaces and install nail shields where ever pipe penetrates lumber. Moreover, where PVC penetrates concrete slab, install foam wrap around the pipe to absorb movement and friction.

Back to you. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whole house cold water pressure drop off,public water pvc pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I searched the forums and didn't find my exact problem. So at every faucet in the house, the cold water drops off after initial turn on. House is on the public water main and was plumbed with PVC pipe. Just turned 5 yrs old I am guessing I have some kind of obstruction? There is a main...

Drainage of water via PVC Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how much water would be empty from a container if the pipe is on the bottom of the container: If the pipe was 1.0 inches in diameter If the pipe was 1.25 inches in diameter If the pipe was 1.50 inches in diameter If the pipe was 1.75 inches in diameter If the pipe was 2.0...

Can I replace PVC water supply pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hot water supply leak under my kitchen sink. It appears limited to two PVC pipes(one coming straight from a metal pipe and the other joints downwards). Can I replace these pipes and if so how do I remove them? Should my local hardware store have what I need?

Carrier condensing furnace has water in PVC pipes [ 2 Answers ]

QUOTE=redgoat67]Hello, I have a Carrier 58SXB100 Deluxe gas fired electronic condensing furnace purchased 16 years ago. The furnace seems to work OK as far as heat output. However, with a recent cold snap of week-long temperatures of near zero, I can hear a gurgling sound from inside one of the...

PVC pipes and water drop noise [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Plumbing gurus This is actually a follow-up Q; I called a good plumber (BBB member) to check upon the noise which Resembles water drops hitting a surface whenever someone takes shower Upstairs. Initially the dropping noise was quick and later it fades away. Here is the explanation...

View more questions Search