Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moongoddess238 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
    How can my husband go about adopting my son?
    My son's father has not seen him for over 5 years and has not tried to make any contact with him. My son is 10 and we have lived in the state of Texas for over 5 years. My son's father lives in Connecticut. He has not paid child support within that time. My son wants to be adopted by my husband. My husband has supported my son for a while now and his father has not had anything to do with him. What can I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2013, 12:41 PM
    None of those facts change the process. You still have to file a petition with your local Family Court for him to adopt. As part of that petition the bio father will need to be contacted and sign a relinquishment of parental rights in favor of your husband.

If he refuses to sign, it is possible the court will override his objection given the that he has made no attempt to be a part of his son's life.

I would not try to do a step parent adoption without an attorney. So your first step is to shop around for one. If the bio father will agree to it, then it should be simple and inexpensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband adopting my son [ 0 Answers ]

I've recently been married, and I have a 12 year old son who calls my new husband "Dad". My son's biological father has only seen him once in over 6 years, doesn't pay any child support (we were never married) and also, the birth certificate does not have his father's name on it, but my son does...

How can my husband go about adopting my son. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I live in West Virginia. He wants to adopt my son and no one is listed as the father. How do we go about it.

How does my Husband go about adopting my son? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am getting married and I was wondering how my husband should go about adopting my son? His father has not been in the picture. What steps should he take for the adoption process?

Husband adopting my son [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few questions. First off we moved to Nebraska back in October from Oklahoma so do we need to go by both sets of abandonment laws for my husband to adopt my son or just Nebraska's? My son's biological father or sperm donor as I call him currently still lives in Oklahoma last I heard. When...

Husband adopting my son [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost for my husband to adopt my son when the other is willing and living out of state?

View more questions Search