Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dominicb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2013, 05:21 AM
    Copy of Doctor Prescription a HIPAA violation?
    I am an EAP counselor and considering to request a copy of my client"s prescription... are there any HIPAA violations in this situation? What if he signs a consent to release information?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2013, 05:38 AM
    If you are requesting a copy of the prescription from the client's physician, they need to sign a consent form. The physician can't release the info without the patient's consent.

You would not be violating HIPAA by making the request, but the physician would, if they supplied the info without patient consent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it a hipaa violation for my pharmacy to send newspaper clipping to my doctor [ 2 Answers ]

Can my pharmacy send newspaper clipping of a arrest to healyh provider without my consent.

My company and text messages from me to doctor -- HIPAA violation? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone contains text messages from me to my doctor. My business has now confiscated my phone to see if I text during working hours. Is that a HIPAA violation? At this time, many people are looking at ALL my text messages.

HIPAA violation to mention to my doctor that a friend got poor treatment? [ 0 Answers ]

I referred a friend of mine to one of my doctors a while ago and he has since cancelled his appointments with my doctor and gone with another physician due to the office staff constantly calling to reschedule his appt. When it was time for me to go in for an appt I mentioned to my doctor that I...

Doctor violation of HIPAA law [ 6 Answers ]

Dr.A. access' Dr. B's patient medical charts(there has never been a reason/need for them to share patient medical info), embellishing the charts with false information and sends the patient files along with an anonymous complaint to the state medical board. Is this a HIPAA violation? How does Dr....

Is emailing a doctor a HIPAA violation? [ 1 Answers ]

I emailed my doctor regarding a health issue. I found out later he was out for a period and contacted his associate through a nurse. Today, the doctor returned and read my email. I was contacted by a nurse that said that I cannot email the doctor because it IS a HiPPA violation. She said it was not...

View more questions Search