Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    complete_nonsen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
    Can I leave Kentucky with my child- never married to the father?
    I am currently 3 months pregnant and living away from my family/support network. I do not feel things are going to work out with the child's father, whom I moved away to be with. He keeps telling me that even if we break up, I will not be allowed to leave the state of Kentucky, even though my parents are more than willing to help me if I move back home. Is this true? It seems like it can't be possible that a court would put a single mother in a situation where she would struggle a lot more in order to ensure the father could visit the child twice a month...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2013, 02:08 PM
    Its partially true. If he is awarded partial custody and visitation then you cannot move without court approval. Sorry, but the father has rights too. And what makes you think he would only get to see his child twice a month?

You chose to move away from your family to be with him. You chose to have a child with this man. You now have to live with the consequences of those decisions. You would be free to move back to your family at any time. But you are not free to take his child from him.

Frankly, if you feel its not going to work out, you should go back home before the child is born. He cannot do anything until the child is born. Once born, he would have to file for custody and visitation in the child's home state which would be where its born. I feel very uncomfortable advocating this because, by doing so, you are abusing the father's rights and potentially, depriving your child of a father.

It seems like it can't be possible that a court would put a single mother in a situation where she would struggle a lot more in order to ensure the father could visit the child twice a month...
    What you fail to take into consideration that its YOUR decision to be a single mother. Its YOUR decision to struggle a lot more by moving away from the support of the father. The courts WILL take that into consideration

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I leave the state with my child if I'm not married [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Im just curious if I can leave the state with my daughter of three months if me and her father are not married? I am not married to her father and he left us about two weeks after she was born but I was told I needed his permission by a friend to leave and he has already told me no when I...

Can I leave blank the father on birth certificate if I'm married in NY? [ 11 Answers ]

So,here is the situation: I am married and pregnant by donor insemination We plan to stay married because we love each other My husband was out of country when I did the AInsemination so his could not sign consent form at my Dr Office Now he is saying he doesn't want to sign the birth...

Does a step parent who is not married to the child's father have to pay child support? [ 22 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for 4years he has a son who is 5years old. The mother of the child is asking for child support which my partner does not mind paying, Im just wondering can the mother make me pay child support too? I live in New Zealand if that helps.

Can I leave Kentucky with my child if her father and I are not married [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently not married to the father of my daughter, but we have been living together for a year and a half in Kentucky. We have never legally or socially introduced ourselves as a married couple, nor do we file taxes together. We have never been to court over custody or paternity issues in...

Parent wants to leave state with child, father objects never married [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter had a child out of wedlock. She is now married and due to job opportunities, economy, family issues and support she wants to move with her husband and two children out of the state of Nevada. THe father's family all live in the same town she is moving to and is willing to give them...

View more questions Search