Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhins battula Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Evaporation of water
    How the water present in ponds got emptied in summer, without getting the temp of 100 degre centigrade. Plaese explain the phenomenon.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Not all the molecules in a volume have the same energy, temperature is a measure of the average energy of particles. Some particles will have energy greater than the energy needed to escape the surface of the water and evaporate, because the particle's energies are distributed about the average.

In summer, more energy is given to the water molecules by the sun, so more molecules are able to escape in this way.

Here is a picture of molecules in a room, they don't all have the same energy, some are fast and some are slow. The temperature of the gas in this box is a measure of the average energy. If we imagined this is a liquid, and that the top of the box is the surface of the liquid. If a molecule hit the surface with a high enough energy, it would be able to escape and evaporate, even if the temperature is below 100.

The red molecules are just so that it's easier to follow them with your eye.

Hope this helps!
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2007, 09:24 AM
    ... how could I make it clearer? What do you disagree with in my answer?
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Okay let me see if this helps:

This shows the distribution of energies of the particles at a certain temperature. The "activation energy" (in this case) is the energy needed for a particle to escape the surface of the water. (it's not called the activation energy, but the same principle applies to chemical reactions which is where I swiped this picture from)

The peak of the curve (the mode) is close to (slightly before) the mean, this is the energy that a particle of the average energy has. This is indicative of the temperature, you can see that it is below the activation energy.

You can also see that some particles are above the "activation energy". This distribution shows that at a temperature below the evaporation point, some particles still have enough energy to escape.

I hope that helped a little more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Low water pressure oil hot water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

How does one go about increasing water pressure in a baseboard heating system?

Cooling tower evaporation, blowdown, makeup and cycles [ 0 Answers ]

Here are the governing relationships for the makeup flow rate, the evaporation and windage losses, the draw-off rate, and the concentration cycles in an evaporative cooling tower system: http://www.air-dispersion.com/CoolingTower.gif M = Make-up water in gal/min C = Circulating water in...

View more questions Search