Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 9, 2013, 05:22 AM
    Using space heater on 950-1200W generator
    I got a small used generator 950-1200W, and want it mainly for a space heater and one lamp. Trouble is, the heater is designed to start at 1500W and I'll have to lower it with a single touch pad button with 7 settings as quickly as I can. Will it trip the circuit no matter how fast I lower it? Is there any way I can get rid of the higher settings on the heater, which I never use even when I have power?
    And can I mix gas and oil in the same can I use in the summer for the lawnmower, without oil, and throw out excess, or do I need to go buy a separate can? Or can I just pour in a quart of gas, an ounce of oil, etc, and shake it a little? It only takes one gallon.

Thanks as always.
    Oh - and how important is the warning 'do not use with small electronics like TVs?' Not that I'd be watching TV because cable will be out too, but I'm just wondering. I assume it's because of how easily they suffer from surge or brownout?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 9, 2013, 06:06 AM
    Will it trip the circuit no matter how fast I lower it?
    Probably.
    Is there any way I can get rid of the higher settings on the heater,
    That wouldn't help. Thermostat turn the heater on and off based on temperature. When it is on, it is on, using a certain amount of amperage no matter what the temperature. Higher thermostat setting only means it stay on longer.

Now if you are talking about something like a Delonghi, 1500 watt, space heater, they have two heating elements. One is 600 watts and the second is 900 watts. You could use one of those using only one of the elements at a time.
    And can I mix gas and oil in the same can
    No problem with that.

'do not use with small electronics like TVs?'
    Generator is probably an inverter generator. Which means it puts out a square wave A/C signal, not a sign wave. More expensive model would probably put out a modified sign wave and be acceptable for electronics.
    current pert

Nov 9, 2013, 06:48 AM
    Thank you Harold. Can't give you a greenie. Now that's ridiculous - I'm sure it's been ages.
    BoltedShort Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Good answers... except using the same can for both straight and mixed gas is asking for trouble.

Sooner or later, you will forget and pour straight gas into the 2-stroke engine. Better to spend $5 and get a separate can for the mixed gas.
    current pert

Nov 12, 2013, 06:27 PM
    (Thanks - the generator only takes a gallon, so I decided to mix as needed in a cleaned out milk jug.)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2013, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    (Thanks - the generator only takes a gallon, so I decided to mix as needed in a cleaned out milk jug.)
    Tsk-Tsk. Unapproved flammable container plus the gasoline leaches plasticiser into the gasoline. Use a metal can or FM approved container and be safe.
    current pert

Nov 13, 2013, 03:39 AM
    I meant for less than a minute, just to mix - nothing wrong with that, right?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2013, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I meant for less than a minute, just to mix - nothing wrong with that, right?
    That's OK but not for storage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which space heater to get? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a basement apartment in a house with three units. It's heated centrally by a gas furnace that heats the entire building. All the tenants have noticed how unevenly this house (it's old) is heated, with rooms upstairs that are an inferno while my apartment is an icebox in...

Generator direct to water heater [ 3 Answers ]

I am building new home, and line power won't be installed until November. My question is: can I hook my hot water heater to the 240v plug on my generator without installing a breaker panel.(not ready for electrical yet)? The generator is rated at 6500w. Any help greatly appreciated.

Electric space heater [ 1 Answers ]

What size fuses do I use for a 480 volt space heater with it own fan that draws 24 amps

Heater makes a loud generator noise [ 8 Answers ]

When I turn on my heater it makes a loud noise (sounds like a running generator). The a/c runs fine.

View more questions Search