Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 06:45 AM
    Do dreams reflect who you really are as a person?
    I had a very disturbing dream, in fact so disturbing I will not share it. I always thought this event was something I was completely against. Am I fooling myself and really am this type of bad person? I am still shook up about it. I will say I was going to go get help for this issue in the dream but I don't know.

Can you really dream stuff you are incapable of doing that go against your character or am I evil?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 6, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Oh no, dreams are not a reflection of who you are, even if you are the person in the dream doing the awful deed!
    They really are a boiling stew of pictures from your life, long past and recent, read, seen, experienced, heard, putting people you know in places they don't fit, and total strangers in places like your bathtub with you. It's like those children's books with the 3 flaps to mix animals.
    Try not to worry about.
    I had a nightmare that my SISTER was trying to get me to do something horrible. I love her and she would never ever! I know it's creepy.
    Dogs Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 07:58 AM
    Joy I am so scared and upset. This is worse than a nightmare. I hope this does not mean memories resurfacing, I am not strong enough for that information.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 08:10 AM
    You are not evil.

Dreams do not determine who you are or what you are. They can be greatly affected by what you read, watch, listen to and think about.

If you have been doing a lot of thinking or research about a subject then there is greater chance your brain will flash on them while you are asleep. Because the human mind likes patterns and putting things together in a recognizable fashion it knits them together into a story that has nothing to do with reality.

Think about it. Have you ever been an orc riding an eagle chasing penguins through a field of lava flowers?

I have read your posts and gotten to know you. You are a good person in heart, mind and soul. You are also a lot stronger than you realize and you have a support system to help you when and if you need it.
    current pert

Nov 6, 2013, 08:12 AM
    If memories are indeed resurfacing, can you see a therapist (can you afford it)?
    Or do you have a partner or family or best friend who can hold you and let you talk about the dream?
    Again - doing something awful in a dream isn't 'you.' It's at most you working out the trauma, by putting yourself in a different role.
    Dogs Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 08:16 AM
    Joy that is why I am scared. I have thought this happened to me. After you posted my brain put pieces together. I have almost 0 childhood memories. Just bits and pieces.
    I am not comfortable talking to family as the other person is still alive and don't want to start trouble.
    Unsure of therapy will have to talk to hubby. We are doing a new budget.
    current pert

Nov 6, 2013, 08:48 AM
    Does hubby know about this dream? With or without the details?

My understanding about repressed memories is that the jury is still out, very much so.
    If you do go for therapy, interview one or two to see what their theories are.
    I can say what I know about the differences if you want, or not.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 08:50 AM
    Mogrann, on FB you mention having a fever. Fevers tend to cause nightmares.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 08:56 AM
    The vast majority of your dreams you won't know or remember. Some of them are the minds way of dealing with the chaos and over information it reaches. It can combine what you were watching on TV with what you had for lunch and your coworkers shoes to create a Wizard of oZ done by JJ Abrams and Chucky the posed doll as the terminator.

The point is that this is the time that your mind is free and does what it wants. It isn't a reflection of you, your morals, thoughts or beliefs. It is just a brief window into chaos. Trust me I have had some dreams that would make Oedipus blush. I don't want that in life.

Keep a dream diary too. Something small and private, it helps to get that chaos out of your head on to paper. Even if you never read it.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Some of my dreams are incredibly disturbing....some are incredibly erotic...neither of those really happen in my real life. The disturbing things are not really who I am, it's just my mind running a movie...that's how I look at it. The erotic things...well, ok, those are things I wish (most anyway...lol) but not things I do.

Dreams really are not a reflection of who or what you are.
    Dogs Expert

Nov 7, 2013, 06:39 AM
    Thank you all great suggestions and advice. Think I will do the dream diary thing as today I don't remember as much of the dream as I did when I first woke up. I would use it less for details but more for emotions that happened due to the dream.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethnocentrism would reflect what sociological perspective [ 2 Answers ]

Ethnocentrism would reflect what sociological perspective

What to do with 1099A & how it should reflect on Schedule D [ 1 Answers ]

I need your help! I received a 1099A for a rental property in CA in which states the following information: Loan Balance: $420,000, FMV listed: $472,918, Were you personally liable for the loan: Yes, Date of lenders acquisition or knowledge of abandement: 7/26/10 Now, I am a bit confused of...

Dreams about a specific person [ 3 Answers ]

For the past 2 years, I have had dreams about the same person. I've never gone a month without dreaming about her. Since April, I have had 36 dreams about her. Do you have any idea if God is telling me something? It's really annoying and I don't even think about her half of the time.

What causes a mirrior to reflect? [ 2 Answers ]

What element, light spectrum etc. causes a mirror to reflect the image in front of it? And what causes it to reflect backwards?

A boy dreams up plans to some machine also dreams he is flying [ 2 Answers ]

I saw a movie in the 90's that I can't remember the name of. All I can remember is some boy has these dreams where he sees plans for some sort of machine bit by bit and he is flying in the dreams.

View more questions Search