Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElecEelweb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2013, 06:23 AM
    How to calculate cost basis on foreign stock for non resident?
    I have an interesting situation which I'm hoping one of the experts can help me answer. I have asked three CPA/tax advisers and have received three different answers. So confused I am.
    Here's the gist of it.

My mother, who was not a US resident, passed away in 1990. She left me some stock in her will. Her will dictated that I could only receive the asset after I reached the age of 35 (year 2000). I became a resident of the USA in 2002. I would like to sell some of that stock since it has appreciated by a bit but do not know what the cost basis of the stock would be.

The three answers I have received on how cost basis would be calculated are:

1. At the time of her death. (1990)
    2. At the time of when the asset was in my control. (2000)
    3. At the time of when I became a US resident. (2002)

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 08:22 AM
    Cost basis on inherited property is almost always set to the fair market value as of the time of death of the decedant. See: Publication 551 (07/2011), Basis of Assets But please clarify what you mean by not having "full control" of the stock until age 35 - is that because a trust was established with this rule and the stock was transferred into the trust upon her death?

Nov 6, 2013, 11:14 AM
    Hi ebaines, thank you for your reply.

Yes you're correct. It was in a trust shared between her children and transferred when we attained the specified age.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 11:29 AM
    Assuming that the trust itself paid no taxes upon the transfer to you, then your cost basis ought to be FMV as of date of death of the decedant. However, legally the trustee should be able to answer the question as to what your cost basis is.

Nov 7, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Thanks again ebaines. The trustee established the cost basis at the time of shares distribution to each of the children. Before that, it was all in a combined amount. And since none of my brothers and sisters live in the US, they do not need to calculate cost basis as I do.

Hence my dilemma for different dates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost basis for old stock [ 5 Answers ]

My father owned stock in just his name but before he passed away in 1991, he had my mother's name added to his stock as jt tenants with rights of survivorship. I have a copy of the certificate showing it reissued in both their names and it is dated May 1, 1990. Now my mother is in an assisted...

Cost basis of Sale of Stock Rights - Inc. Tax [ 10 Answers ]

Income from Sale of ADR Stock Rights? - Form 1099-B My 2010 Form 1099-B shows Gross Proceeds from the sale of rights for ADR shares. I received these proceeds, as I had not exercised the right to buy more ADRs of the company issuing the extra shares. I opted out of the new purchase of shares, so...

Cost Basis of Avaya Stock received from 1960's AT&T stock [ 2 Answers ]

During the 2nd half of the 1960's, my parents bought AT&T stock and had all dividends reinvested. At some point, there was a spin-off and my parents received Avaya stock. Effective October 26, 2007, Avaya was acquired by Sierra Merger Corp. an entity formed by affiliates of private equity firms...

Wash Sales! What to add to Cost Basis of Replacement Stock [ 3 Answers ]

So far here's what I know about wash sales. If you sell a stock at a loss and buy the same or similar stock within 30 days, its considered a wash sale. The loss you incurred from the sale gets added to the cost basis of the new replacement stock you purchased. This is easy enough if you bought...

View more questions Search