Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raslebol Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Is sending money abroad exempt of taxes?
    I am a US citizen. I want to send around $25K to my family in Europe. Do I get a break in US taxes?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 5, 2013, 08:13 PM
    If you made the money here then your going to be required to pay the taxes here. If your just transfering money that you had already and have paid taxes on it there is no tax on the outgoing money.
    raslebol Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    If you made the money here then your going to be required to pay the taxes here. If your just transfering money that you had already and have paid taxes on it there is no tax on the outgoing money.
    Thanks. But what about a BREAK - or discount - on US taxes?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 5, 2013, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by raslebol View Post
    Thanks. But what about a BREAK - or discount - on US taxes?
    No, there is no break nor deduction you can take off your personal gross that can lead to less taxation by sending money out of the country.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 7, 2013, 09:13 AM
    All advice given is accurate. Note that if regularly transfer money overseas in substantial amounts, you may be asked to explain the details to the IRA.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2013, 09:23 AM
    Just to clarify, essentially this is a gift. Unless the gift is to a recognized charity, there is no tax break for the giver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pension money exempt from US taxes? [ 5 Answers ]

I live overseas and have done for 33 years. All my pension and SS money was paid for overseas. I use to get exemption from 2555 and 1116 forms, however I do not think this covers me after retirement?

Sending money abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US resident (on work visa so considered a resident for tax purposes) and I want to send some money to my parents in India. The money will an interest free loan to help them out and they will probably pay it back in a year or two. Do I have to pay tax if I send in excess of the exempt amount?...

Taxes on sending money abroad [ 4 Answers ]

One of my family members abroad needs some short term liquidity. We're thinking I send money over, which they would give back in a few months and within a year. Do I have to charge interest on this even though it is so short (3-6 months)? Would I have to pay any sort of taxes if there is no...

Receiving and sending money abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a limit on the amount of money one can send abroad yearly and if it affects that the money is being received by my person in my US bank account and then being sent abroad. Also, do I have to pay taxes on the amount I am receiving (money is for payment of work being...

Husband in debt due to sending money abroad to someone. [ 1 Answers ]

Husband in debt due to sending money abroad to someone, And seems to be addicted to loans. Which I say no. But would like advice how to get out of it. With or without him. We do have kids. 20, 18 and 15 all boys. Thought they always got on with him more then me. Which is why I put up...

View more questions Search