Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samieet Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2013, 07:30 PM
    Survey
    Hi I'm doing a debate on competitive sports should be banned because kids can't handle losing, and we're on the affirmative team, so there's a bit of disadvantage there, I'm the third person speaker, so I really need your help to give me some strong points or just some points so that I can use it to rebuttal against the other team. Please
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2013, 07:38 PM
    Kids can handle losing, and always have... assuming they are taught that in the real world there are always winners and losers... and if you lose now... doesn't mean you will lose the next time. And they are going to learn this when the finish school and try to find their first job... and anything else for the rest of their lives... which will be significantly longer than the short period they will spend in school.

Not exposing kids to losing and winning means they don't develop valuable learning experiences they need in the real world after school.

We have an old saying that sums it up.

"If at first you don't succeed...........try, try and try again!"
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2013, 07:40 PM
    You first need to coordinate with your team members as to who is going to say what.

You are saying yes, kids cannot handle losing in competitive sports?

Nov 5, 2013, 12:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You first need to coordinate with your team members as to who is going to say what.

You are saying yes, kids cannot handle losing in competitive sports?
    Yes, my teams are saying kids can't handle losing
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2013, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samieet View Post
    Yes, my teams are saying kids can't handle losing
    Oh... you got the side that's esentially impossible to prove... you really do have your work cut out for you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 5, 2013, 08:25 AM
    Look at this article (and similar ones). Pull out the negatives and make them into positives for your arguments --

Winning and Losing | Psychology Today

Like this --
    1. Children need to win (winning = pride, losing = shame)
    2. Children need a creative challenge to make up own rules and cheat so they can boast, otherwise they will refuse to play
    3. Children, especially boys, need feeling of physical and intellectual dominance
    4. Children need to believe they can do great things
    5. Children need encouragement to be their fantasied selves

Nov 6, 2013, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Look at this article (and similar ones). Pull out the negatives and make them into positives for your arguments --

Winning and Losing | Psychology Today

Like this --
    1. Children need to win (winning = pride, losing = shame)
    2. Children need a creative challenge to make up own rules and cheat so they can boast, otherwise they will refuse to play
    3. Children, especially boys, need feeling of physical and intellectual dominance
    4. Children need to believe they can do great things
    5. Children need encouragement to be their fantasied selves
    Thank you so much :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just a Little survey [ 3 Answers ]

1) how many of you saw/read/ or liked the hunger games? I will tally them at the end 2)how many of you have read any part of the maximum ride series and agree it should be made into a movie? 3)how many of you play/like/love wii fit or wii fit plus? 4)how many of you have never heard of any of...

Survey [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a final year project about hygiene and who influences people to practice good food hygiene in their home. In this I'm doing a survey to collect results. So if you are interested please fill out the form. The survey is found at www.hygiene.netfirms.com

And the survey says [ 37 Answers ]

OK all you Obama supporters, tell us why you’re voting for Obama. What proposal of his is going to benefit you, your family, your neighbor, your job, the economy, your country, the world? Specifics please.

Survey [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a final year project about hygiene and who influences people to practice good food hygiene in their home. In this I'm doing a survey to collect results. So if you are interested please fill out the form. The survey is found at www.hygiene.netfirms.com

View more questions Search