Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    runrunrooster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Lichen Harmful?
    I like to make picture frames from old barn wood. I recently acquired some wood that has lichen on it and thought it would be cool to have some on the frame but do not know whether it would be harmful to humans in a household environment. Also if it isn't I would assume it would maybe dry up and just crumble off or disintegrate or would not last. Any ideas on this. I do not know the name of this lichen, I live in West Central Minnesota and see it all over the granite outcrops, roofs of house, on trees and wood. Thanks for any help.

Rob
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 31, 2013, 09:46 AM
    It's harmless. I think it's very pretty too. Back in the 60s I remember that there was concern that the lichen of the Arctic Circle was absorbing strontium 90 from bomb testing, and the reindeer were affected. And there was concern about it showing up in breast milk, indirectly.

As for falling off indoors, I think a lot of the smaller ones will stay intact. I brought some 45 year old cedar porch railings indoors with the plan of making something and it didn't crumble off. (I had to burn it though during a freak storm with a very long power outage.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this harmful? [ 1 Answers ]

After sex with my boyfriend I had a little pain so I went to the bathroom in like a clear fluid was coming out of my vagina what could that be?

Is it harmful? [ 4 Answers ]

I had two cigarettes on top of my computer desk and the first cigarette I smoked and the second one I had picked up and ran outside to smoke it and when I put it up to my mouth I smelled dog urine (remind you I had the cigarette in my mouth). I smelled my hands thinking that maybe I might of...

Is it harmful? [ 1 Answers ]

I colored/dyed my hair 1 week ago... If I will dye it again after 2 weeks of the exact day that I dyed it... Is it harmful for my hair?:eek:

Is it harmful? [ 10 Answers ]

Is masturbation harmful for a 19 year old boy??

View more questions Search