Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Max20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2013, 09:43 PM
    Desktop won't power on
    Hi all. A few days ago my system stopped powering on. Specs below.

It would simply do nothing when the power button was pressed. I opened it up and tested the MB power cable in my PSU test unit. Power supply came on, fans came on, voltage showing on test unit. Plugged it back in. Still dead.

Removed parts one by one until it would boot. Removed video card and it booted up to POST beep. Retried, same thing. Tested another video card. Dead. Tested another video card. Dead. Retried original video card. Dead. Retried booting without video card. Nothing?

Right, now it won't power on at all, but when I flick on the power switch on the PSU the motherboard power and reset buttons light up (there are small power and reset buttons right on the MB) but do nothing. I now have it stripped to just MB, PSU, CPU/FAN, still nothing. I'm almost positive it's the MB, but I need to be sure if its that or the CPU before I order replacement. Any ideas would help. Thanks.

SPECS:
    Motherboard - Asus P6T
    CPU - Intel i7 Quad core
    Video - ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 (ATI Radeon HD 4870 with Dark Knight Cooler)
    RAM - 8 GB DDR3
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 06:54 PM
    I agree based on your description it is probably the motherboard. Even if the power supply is out of spec (can you measure the voltages?), the system will hiccup when the power button is pushed if the motherboard is powering on the power supply properly. CPU failures are rare, and boards are usually less expensive than CPUs. Plus, putting a good CPU in a possibly bad board may risk the CPU. But, before writing the board off, try it with minimum memory isolating each module(s) in turn. Also, do you see any vented (top is split, innards may be oozing) or bulging capacitors on the board?
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Nov 1, 2013, 03:47 AM
    Try remove all cables and cards except on Ram stick.

Connect only the power supply's two cables to the board. Power on.
    If nothing try another stick of Ram.
    If nothing a stick of ram and a grphics card.

Still nothing, it probably the mainboard but can also be the power supply or CPU.
    But probably the mainboard.

Ask a local IT company to check it before you spend money on ordering an expensive part just to find it is not that..

Hope this helps
    Grant - South Africa
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 24, 2014, 06:40 AM
    Power supply most likely. There is a function of all power supplies that self test for good power. If it fails for any reason it will not supply the board to prevent damage. I recently had a similar issue and the supply tested good on all leads for power with a volt ohm meter but still would not power on. I opened it up and found several swollen capacitors. After replacing them with ones from another older one it worked again. Its very difficult to do and a bit dangerous since some of the larger caps can hold high voltage. Buying a replacement is the safest bet. It wouldn't hurt to look inside. If you see caps that leaked or have swollen tops, you at least know it's the supply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Hp desktop won't turn on. [ 0 Answers ]

Last night there was a thunderstorm so I did what I thought was smart and powered my computer down and unplugged it. Today I plugged it in and a green LED light on the back keeps blinking, I've switched cords and all that and still can't get it to come back on. I just hope its not damaged let me...

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Desktop, no boot up but power OK [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all My computer crashed a few days ago now nothing is happening. There are specifics to the problem so let me relay. Several mornings the computer was in hibernate mode and would not wake up. Reboot and fine. Then it went to rebooting was fine but computer shut down after 5-10 minutes. ...

Desktop won't start up, power light blinking orange [ 3 Answers ]

I have a dell dimension e310 desktop computer and one day I tried turning it on by pressing the power button but nothing happened. No fans or other sounds at all. The light on the power button is just blinking orange, once a second. Only had the computer for about 3 years and no problems with it so...

View more questions Search