Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xTiffanyx Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Oct 28, 2013, 07:08 AM
    Is this true?
    Hello my lovelies! I've been hearing things recently about science and religon being at war... I just wanted to ask if its actually true.As they think scientists believe the world started with the big bang and the evulution theory is how us humans were created.Whereas people who are a follower of a religon believe something compeltely different. When someone asked me I was like well everyone has their different perspective of how they veiw the world and we should respect it not argue with each other.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2013, 07:13 AM
    Science and religion have ALWAYS been at war.

(I've moved this question from Academic Advising to something more fitting.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2013, 07:15 AM
    I've been hearing things recently about science and religon being at war... I just wanted to ask if its actually true.
    You've only been hearing about it recently? This has been going on for ages. Galileo, was tried by the Spanish Inquisition on the 15th Century for his views on astronomy. (Galileo Galilei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) John Scopes was found guilty of teaching evolution in TN in 1925 in the famous Monkey Trial. (Scopes Trial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

And these are just two famous examples. This fight goes on today, though I do believe there are more people willing compromise then in previous times.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 28, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Even though you are only 14 or 15, I'm surprised that this topic hasn't been revealed to you before. But you are handling it well. Arguing origins of life can be so futile!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 29, 2013, 05:23 PM
    Where they are at war is in areas where the church believes in temperance of science. Such is the case with science making announcements like finding the god particle. But also science and religion go hand in hand at times. There are many sciences and there is much to be understood. Quite frankly nobody really knows how we got to be where we are and the origins we were created from.
    current pert

Oct 29, 2013, 06:47 PM
    It was the media who named the Higgs boson the God particle. Not science, not religion.
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 30, 2013, 02:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It was the media who named the Higgs boson the God particle. Not science, not religion.
    This is correct.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Oct 30, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Very good point... I still believe 100% that science and God go hand in hand. It's what one man says against another that confuses everybody.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Yes but it also has been adopted by science since its creation.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Yes but it also has been adopted by science since its creation.
    Not quite. The Higgs Boson was first postulated by Peter Higgs back in 1964, and commonly became called "Higgs Boson" in the 70's. The nick name "God Particle" was introduced 20 years later by the author of a popular book (who was, ironically, a famous scientist), but most scientists would say the nickname was designed to sell books and is inappropriate . Rest assured that the term is not used in scientific discussions.

But back to the OP's question. I do believe that some scientists are at war with religion, and some people of faith are at war with science. But in general we should recognize that God created all of nature, and science is the dispassionate study of nature, so science is about studying God's creation. The techniques used by scientists are much different than the philosophical approaches that predate the Rennasisance and the formulation of the scientific method but the goal is the same. Some of the greatest scientists have themselves been quite religous individuals, and often it has been religous institutions that have contributed greatly to the advancement of science. People talk about the Catholic Church and the persecuation of Galileo (FYI, it was NOT the Spanish Inquisition!), but the astronomical observatory built at the Vatican (of all places) in the time after Galileo was instrumental in helping us understand our place in the cosmos. Another example - the contributions of religous organizations to the advancement of the science of medicine is unquestioned. So no - there is no need for a "war" between science and religion.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2013, 11:54 PM
    I think you need to understand that some great minds like Einstein have come to the conclusion that science doesn't have all the answers. It is not a war so much as it is different perspectives on the same set of facts. God didn't give us much detail when he said he created it all, and science has been trying to fill in the details, but as Einstein said " I just want to know the thoughts of God, everything else is just the details".

Science thinks the universe was created about 14 Billion years ago. The Scriptures would suggest a shorter timeframe, at least for part of creation. I do have a question, though, If man has been around as long as science thinks, what caused the explosion in knowledge in the past six thousand years. I think the reality is we don't understand time and because we don't, we see a conflict between science and religion. The use of the word day has caused a great deal of this contention, but as the Scripture says, with God; a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day
    current pert

Nov 19, 2013, 12:44 AM
    I notice that as the sciences get into the most obscure and complicated areas such as quantum theory and physics in general, there is still variety in religious and non religious beliefs, but more respect for each other. They don't waste their days fighting with each other. They argue plenty about their theories, and that's a good thing.

I marvel constantly at how much and yet how little we know about life, about our planet, about the universe, about time, about the microscopic and the astronomically huge. I have room for those who see God in the magical mystery and awesomeness of it all, and room for those who don't. As long as no one feels compelled to tell me which group I have to join.
    xTiffanyx Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Dec 14, 2013, 01:06 PM
    Okay thanks you guys!
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2014, 05:32 PM
    I object to thinking of myself as evolved pond scum, or an evolved ape. That all life on earth has certain characterics in common says as much about creation as it does about evolution. Science and religion are two different perspectives, science deals with detail and attempts to both understand the how and to duplicate it. Religion deals with the why and the big picture. without religion there would be no morality. Conflict exists because of human ego

As Einstein said
    I just want to know the thoughts of God, everything else is just the detail
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2014, 07:40 AM
    without religion there would be no morality.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2014, 05:01 AM
    a completely humanistic point of view, man has learned a little in the last six thousand years, but most of it is tolerance, not morality. If you haven't noticed society is becoming more corrupt, and this coincides with the movement away from "religion". The checks and balances are slowly being removed and certain thngs are now considered acceptable which were once anathema
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2014, 07:52 AM
    Society may be more corrupt where you are but not where I am. Being part of a religion certainly does not make one less corrupt, I think we had seen that over and over. I think the changes have more to do with worshiping wealth, and that transcends religiosity.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2014, 07:01 PM
    Religion, at least my religion, has warned against worshiping wealth. Wealth is a corrupting force, but there are no less poorer people just more wealthy people.

the degeneration in society I speak of is the tendency to violence and lack of compassion, religion keeps such tendencies in check, as well as the general moral degeneration. Things are acceptable today that were not acceptable in earlier eras. this has paralleled the rise of secularisation and a fall off in religious adherence. When you start from a low base it is difficult to measure falling values. All of this was foretold so no surprises
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2014, 10:53 AM
    Well if you could show me an example of a current country/society that is following religious adherence to your standards and therefore lacks any violence or moral degeneration then you may have a point. As I mentioned where I live we don't see the kind of degeneration that you speak of and we're quite secular (or at least people keep their religiosity to themselves).

Like I mentioned before, if reading a book or being part of a religious sect is the only thing keeping you from performing degenerate acts then you have bigger problems.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2014, 11:05 AM
    Most of the violence and wars are in the name of some god or another, and some worship the lesser dark gods as well, so religion carried to extremes can produce as much chaos, conflict, and suffering as no religion. Some need religion more than others, and it's a personal choice but no way to govern a society made up of many religions or sects of the same religion. How many successful theocracies can you name?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

History homework True or False if false rewrite it to make it true [ 23 Answers ]

Under Hammurabi's code,the penalty for every crime was death

I'd like opinions on how much this article is true or think its true [ 8 Answers ]

What does it mean to be a man today? How can men consciously express their masculinity without becoming cold or closed-hearted on the one hand… or wimpy and emasculated on the other? What’s the most loving way for a conscious man to express himself? Here are 10 ways to live more consciously as a...

Is this true? [ 2 Answers ]

I read online that Delware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, and Oklahoma allow pregnant teens or teens who have already had a child to get married without parental consent. It says however in Florida, Kentucky, and Oklahoma you would have to have authorization from a court and Maryland...

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

View more questions Search