Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andomeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2013, 09:15 PM
    Can I marry a foreign citizen in their country?
    I'm an American citizen and want to marry a Chilean citizen. She's lived in the states for 5 years and is currently on a student visa. We want to marry in July 2014 (by then her status will be as a tourist because her student visa will have expired and she will change to a B2).

My question is, if we fly out to Chile, get married there (because of family reasons), and in two weeks fly back to Oregon state to live here (she would enter on her B2 tourist visa) will that raise any red flags with immigration when we submit papers for her residency? Will she even be able to get through customs if we return as a married couple?

Will our Chilean marriage be recognized in the US? Will we have to re-marry to obtain an american marriage license?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 28, 2013, 09:58 AM
    Chilean marriage is recognized in the US, but you would need to have the papers certified by US embassy in Chile.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Oct 28, 2013, 12:00 PM
    A marriage anywhere is recognized in the U.S. (unless it's like polygamy or something).

Being married is not an issue, but when she is entering the U.S. on a tourist visa (married or not), she cannot have preconceived intent to stay and immigrate once she enters, which you mentioned you guys already haves plan to do ("when we submit papers for her residency"). That would be visa fraud.

I see 3 options for you:
    1. Marry in the U.S. before she leaves. Adjust status. She can leave once she gets advance parole or the green card. She can have a ceremony in Chile if she wants.
    2. She leaves the U.S. and you guys marry in Chile. Then she would have to immigrate through consular processing at the U.S. consulate in Chile. The process takes around a year.
    3. You guys have a ceremony in Chile but don't officially marry. You file for a K-1 fiancé visa for her, and she comes in on that and you guys officially marry in the U.S. and then adjust status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Money received in foreign country in foreign bank account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, 1. If I receive money from my father as a gift in Indian in my Indian Bank Account,will it be considered as income and does it need to be reported to IRS as a taxable income?The amount is less than 30k USD. 2. Sometimes I send money to my parents account in India(I do not have...

Foreign Spouse and Foreign child of US Citizen married for 1 month [ 4 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen. I married to a foreign woman (who also has a child) in late 2008. They are still overseas waiting for immigration papers to come here in year 2009. She does not have income overseas. Only I have income in USA. I do not have SSN for either Spouse or my Stepson. I have my own 2...

Baby Fathered in foreign country from US citizen? How to proceed? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok I have a friend that I am trying to help and I want to ask if anyone know what she should do. The situations is that she had a relationship with a basketball player in Bulgaria(Eastern Europe) while he was living there temporary. He got her pregnant and he left her alone after all. So now he is...

Do criminal charges carry over when you become a citizen of a foreign country? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm sure it depends on which country but I'm not for sure. So, yeah, do criminal charges on your permanent record follow you when you gain citizenship in a different country? Also, how would one go about moving and gaining citizenship in a different country?(make sure to consider the charges when...

US citizen working in foreign country and 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

For a US citizen working as a contractor in foreign country for a US company, does he/she needs a 1099 from the US company? Amount is over $600.

View more questions Search