Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prahatx Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2013, 05:40 AM
    Tankless water heaters
    We are considering a tank-less water heater for many reasons. What I'd like to find out are peoples experiences , opinions and knowledge of them .

Craig
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 27, 2013, 06:27 AM
    I had one of the early ones, in the early 80s, in another house. It worked fine. It was an Aqua Star by Bosch. The hot water had to travel far, however, so that meant a lot of waiting with the water running. The hot water doesn't circulate until the water in the copper pipes just above the flame is hot. It's not much volume, but it does take time.

I bought another one recently, also a Bosch. Now there are condensing v non-condensing, and some building codes require condensing, which recycles exhaust and costs a lot more. Also now most codes require an exhaust fan, not just an vent. I found out that the fan kit cost a ridiculous $350 so haven't bought one or had any of it installed.

Minimum flow requirement (the amount you have to open the faucet to activate the flame) is a key consideration, especially if your faucets are far from the heater, and you'll be wasting water. You'll have to run your kitchen faucet before you run your dishwasher, and figure out something if you want hot water in the laundry right from the start. The other key is output - how much maximum, how many valves can be open at once. The manufacturers tell you how many showers, tubs, washing machines, dishwashers, and faucets each model can handle, or they just suggest based on family size, number of rooms, etc.

I'm assuming gas. There are also electric ones.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2013, 07:13 AM
    They are not quite as simplistic as the manufacturers suggest. While they do supply "instant" hot water, they consume a lot of power. You need to run gas lines and separate exhaust vents. If electric, Many older home do not have adequate wiring for their use. Unless you have a lot of unprotected piping, I believe a newer 40-50 gallon heater does just as well without long term recovery costs.
    maammy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2014, 09:10 PM
    You've really helped me decide on the next water heater I will be buying. I was considering the tankless, but it sounds like more than I want to get into. My house was build 35 years ago and my 90 gallon water heater just went out. It sounds like there is too much to consider for a tankless and the fact that you have to let the water run to get it to the appliance you want to run, plus the fact that I may have my washer and dish washer and a shower going at the same time, who knows if it can handle it. Thanks for your perspective on the tankless. You've made my life much easier. Best regards.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2014, 03:39 AM
    I use the tankless here in China, that is the type they use in most new construction now. I love mine. With that said, the heater is on the wall in the kitchen and the bath is normally close. So there is no distance between .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heaters worth it? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all. I'm wondering what your expert opinions are of tankless "on-demand" water heaters (for the whole house). I found some supposedly new ones on EBay for about $750 (natural gas) and would do the installation myself. But I've never lived in a house that had one, and wanted to know if...

Do tankless water heaters really work well? [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about installing a tankless hot water heater and am somewhat hesitant. I live in New Jersey, where it can really get cold. Does anyone have any experience with these heaters? Can more than 1 person take a shower at the same time?

Tankless Hot Water heaters [ 4 Answers ]

I am buying a home, it is a remodeled ranch home with the present hot water heater in the storage area by the carport. There is plenty of room and it currently has a natural gas tank unit. I have not measured the GPM but it appears to have good water flow. I am looking at it for the cost...

Tankless water heaters [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to use a tempering valve on the hot water out of the tankless heater?

Tankless water heaters [ 5 Answers ]

I was looking into tankless water heaters and wondering if it would be worth while to switch to one when its time to replace my standard hot water tank- has anyone installed one of these, and are they worth the extra money vs. a standard tank?

View more questions Search