Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martz23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 27, 2013, 08:44 AM
    Eyes
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 27, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Oops! Can't give WG a greenie, as usual.
    I'm bad, sayeth Alty. Wow, I haven't felt so good in years. Even watching Breaking Bad and identifying with both guys, and feeling mostly disgruntled with both women.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2013, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why on earth are parents ringing the doorbell at 3 a.m. for breakfast? NO ONE eats breakfast at 3 a.m. If they are hungry, they should go to Denny's or some open-all-night diner. It would be the height of disrespect to wake up your child at that godforsaken hour of the morning -- just to expect breakfast???
    Imagine how I feel. My parents are deceased, as are my husbands. If they came over for breakfast at 3am, or any time, I'd be freaked right out.

Having said that, I told my husband the riddle. His answer "Gun cabinet, because nothing good is at your door at 3am. If it is our parents, they're zombies. So either way, gun cabinet".
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 27, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Oops, can't give Alty a greenie either.
    nylama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2013, 03:02 AM
    Light!
    cjejnj080912 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2013, 10:33 AM
    The riddle says, "you wake up." This implies your eyes are already open to see that it is your parents. By the end of the riddle, when it asks what you open first, you would open the door first because your eyes are already open. Whoever "designed" this riddle didn't put enough thought into it. OR whoever thought the answer would be "eyes" didn't fully understand the riddle.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2013, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjejnj080912 View Post
    The riddle says, "you wake up." This implies your eyes are already open to see that it is your parents.
    I can wake up and not open my eyes.

And I wouldn't see my parents at the front door until I actually walked to the door and opened it.
    RandomMongol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
    Let's make this easier for those who are stuck on semantics. Many people, like myself, have conditions that make their eyes stick shut while they sleep. So, when *I* wake up the right one opens freely. The left I have to convince. The answer is therefore correct. What is the first thing I open? My eye. Then I open the other one. Are we good now?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Alty, my sweet, methinks you have created a monster thread with this riddle.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 28, 2013, 02:38 PM
    Alty, my sweet, methinks you have created a monster thread with this riddle.
    I agree.

Here's the thing, I do agree with those that said the riddle was written in a way where door seemed like the most logical answer. That's why I answered door, because on awakening I open my eyes, which would mean that my eyes would open as soon as the doorbell rang. But, they are still the first thing I opened. They wouldn't have been opened if the doorbell hadn't rang.
    WonderWabbit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2013, 01:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjejnj View Post
    View Post
    The riddle says, "you wake up." This implies your eyes are already open to see that it is your parents.
    You wake up doesn't imply your eyes are already open unless you sleep with your eyes open

I can wake up and not open my eyes.

And I wouldn't see my parents at the front door until I actually walked to the door and opened it.
    ;) but wouldn't you open your eyes to learn that it's your parents at the door? - or are you normally in the habit of answering the door with your eyes shut?

semantics ;)

That said - if my parents were dead :/ I wouldn't be opening the door to them as at this time of year wouldn't probably make them Zombies!

... and who's parents turn up at 03:00 expecting to be made breakfast? - Go Make It Yourself! ;)

P.S. Riddles are all about supplying misleading information... The crucial aspect is the first action, so you look at the start: clue: "you wake up"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mr. X riddle [ 0 Answers ]

I can't solve this! I have been trying for ages now, and its really hard! This is the riddle: The one in green is the answer to all problems, if she is to not show, the worst is to happen. She can lead the boys to safety, but will we allow it? No. Beware of the taffy beware of the queen, we must...

Here's another riddle! [ 3 Answers ]

What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries? Rick

What am I riddle [ 1 Answers ]

It's large as an elephant deformed in its shape it follows close as can be weightless in all forms absent of color and detail so what do you see

Another Riddle [ 8 Answers ]

A barrel of water weighs 20 lbs. right now. What do you add to it to make it weigh only 12 lbs. (answer below) -- --

PLEASE Help Me With a Riddle [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is not telling our family the name of her son until he is born, but she gave us a riddle which will tell us his name. Please help! Here it is: Backwards American Woman Loves Reubens

View more questions Search