Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nargis786 Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2013, 01:13 PM
    Pay arrangements for monthly paid employees
    Hi I have just started my first ever job as a school administrator. I am in the UK and on my contract it states that 'you will be paid monthly by credit transfer in arrears on the 26th day of each month'...
    It has already been a month so can someone tell me what this means. As I have not received my first pay yet, does the above statement mean I will receive my first payment with my second months payment? I am slightly confused...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 26, 2013, 01:20 PM
    It should mean that on the 26th, your pay goes into your bank account, provided you gave them the account number and routing number.
    But today is Saturday, so in theory, they would pay you on Friday, but maybe not, maybe Monday.
    There is also the possibility that the bank transfer doesn't actually show in your bank on the 26th, but is started on the 26th. Even with wired transfers, some take up to 3 days.
    This should have all been spelled out.
    Get it in writing if you can - what day if the 26th is not a bank and school day, and how many days to transfer. If you don't want to make waves, just ask on Monday. Or call another employee and ask them.

Oct 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It should mean that on the 26th, your pay goes into your bank account, provided you gave them the account number and routing number.
    But today is Saturday, so in theory, they would pay you on Friday, but maybe not, maybe Monday.
    There is also the possibility that the bank transfer doesn't actually show in your bank on the 26th, but is started on the 26th. Even with wired transfers, some take up to 3 days.
    This should have all been spelled out.
    Get it in writing if you can - what day if the 26th is not a bank and school day, and how many days to transfer. If you don't want to make waves, just ask on Monday. Or call another employee and ask them.
    It also states on my contract that if the 26th falls on a weekend or bank holiday, it would be paid on a working day. So for example as the 26th of this month fell on a Saturday, all staffs payslips arrived yesterday (Friday). However I did not get one. I have prvided mybank details to the school, however I am thinking my details have not been set up, but should it really take this long?
    current pert

Oct 26, 2013, 01:35 PM
    Sounds like someone dropped the ball. Call personnel on Monday, and persevere.
    Low level clerks don't always get things right.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2013, 01:56 PM
    I think the arrears means that you are paid only after completion of the month. So if you started Oct 1 you don't get paid until Nov 26 for Oct. But you should double check that with HR.
    current pert

Oct 26, 2013, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think the arrears means that you are paid only after completion of the month. So if you started Oct 1 you don't get paid until Nov 26 for Oct. But you should double check that with HR.
    I thought of that, but thought that it would be made clear.
    But the more I think about it, I think you are right.

Oct 28, 2013, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I started working on the 24th of September so it has been more than a month. I do not no why they have not paid me which is very frustrating. But I will sure check up on this.

Oct 28, 2013, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nargis786 View Post
    I started working on the 24th of September so it has been more than a month. I do not no why they have not paid me which is very frustrating. But I will sure check up on this.
    Does this mean I will get paid on 26th November? Since I have just completed my first month from 24th Sept
    current pert

Oct 28, 2013, 04:54 AM
    We don't know. You'll find out today. Since you have just told us when you started, I think you should have been paid Oct 26. In fact, I would insist on it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2013, 05:01 AM
    You should have been paid on Oct 26 for what you earned from Sept 24 to Spet 30. At least that's the way I read it. But this can be solved by talking to your payroll or HR dept and ask for an explanation.

Please let us know what you find out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My "Tenents" have a contract for deed. They paid down $20K. Not paid monthly in a yr [ 2 Answers ]

My "Tenants" paid down $20K on a contract for deed. They continuously paid late... I allowed them to string me along with the promise of a big settlement they are expecting. (They've lived in and damaged my house since ) I haven't gotten ANY payment from them since March 2012 and THAT was not even...

1(Paid the employees monthly salary, $2,475) [ 1 Answers ]

Is it debit salary expense -credit cash?

Lease ended it was weekly then went monthly do I have to pay monthly amount? [ 6 Answers ]

I had a lease that ended in May of 2008 in which I paid weekly rent on and then it ended and it reverted month to month as stated in the lease agreement would this mean I would pay the monthly amount listed on the paperwork or do I still have to pay the weekly rent? Also they were charging me...

View more questions Search