Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noutt1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
    Answer my maths problems
    Mr and Mrs Rich opened a joint bank account. On Monday $800 was withdrawn. On Tuesday half of what was left was taken out. On Wednesday they deposited $1650. The account was closed on Friday when $2800 was withdrawn. How much was in the bank account before the first withdrawal?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 25, 2013, 05:32 AM
    Start with ending balance, subtract deposits, add checks.
    Celine91 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Oct 26, 2013, 05:20 AM
    let x: bank account before first withdrawal,
    Monday: withdrawn (800), left (x-800)
    Tuesday: withdrawn (0.5 * (x-800)), left (0.5 * (x-800))
    Wednesday: left (0.5 *(x-800)) + 1650
    Friday: account closed and 2800 withdrawn ==> all left was with drawn

0.5 * (x-800) + 1650 = 2800.. simplify and solve for x
    x = $3,100.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solutions for maths word problems [ 0 Answers ]

Ravi and sachin have some bananas. If ravi gives sachin one banana, they will have twice the number of bananas that sachin has.How many bananas does each boy have?

Maths word problems about pencils [ 4 Answers ]

Mary has a box of pencils (unsharpened). Mary finds that the length of one pencil is about 7-3/10 inches. There are 40 pencils in the box. If they were placed end to end in a straight line, what would be the length in feet?

Help with maths word problems? [ 10 Answers ]

Simultaneous Equations - Algebraic Methods 1. Five less than twice Michelle's present age is equal to Sandra's present age. Two years ago, twice Sandra's age was the same as ten years more than triple Michelle's age. Find the present ages of the two girls. The answers are:(I just can't figure...

Solving molarity maths problems? [ 1 Answers ]

If a stock solution of phosphate has concentration of 0.5M, how many ml of the solution will contain 1mmoles?

Problems with Maths [ 3 Answers ]

Hey people... I got to give mathematics exam in May end I have not started with it as yet... whenever I take or try to do it sudden I lose all of my confidence and it happens during the exam also I do it but I always doubt myself. I got to deal with Statistics & probability, Linear Differential...

View more questions Search