Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfantalis Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2013, 06:22 AM
    Contracts
    My HOA signed a contract with a trash company. The contract had a lot of blanks that are filled in by hand (rate, address, etc.) In the main contract language the HOA manager added a clause hand written in and initialed it. When I asked the trash company to send me the contract they sent it to me in PDF and it includes all mentioned above.

They are now saying that the clause that was hand written in is not valid because they did not initial it.

I contend that there are lots of things hand written in. The final signed version has that clause and it was the one that they had as the final version so its not like we had that version and they had a version without it.

Thoughts?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2013, 08:43 AM
    Any handwritten additions need to be initialed and dated by both parties, except for blanks that are meant to be filled in.

However, if their copy includes an addendums then an argument could be made that its valid.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2013, 08:51 AM
    Did the manager have a discussion with the trash company about the amendment he made, and if so did they agree verbally to it? Also, when did this occur - has the trash company been providing service under this contract? If so you can argue that this shows implicit acceptance of the hand-written amendment. If not - then you should insist that they initial the amendment. The fact that there are other hand-written fields is not relevant, assuming that there are blank lines in the contract that make it quite clear what information is to be written in.

Oct 24, 2013, 09:14 AM
    More detail: The amendment was limiting how much they could increase their fees each year. I am told this is a normal amendment to these type of contracts. I don't have any information on what was discussed at the time but I am sure it was discussed (it wasn't snuck in there). The contract was signed in 2006. I just joined the HOA board and noticed that they have increased our fees over the amount in the amendment. I am checking if they did only increase it some years exactly that amount from the amendment (which would show they did know about it).

Oct 24, 2013, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jfantalis View Post
    The contract was signed in 2006.
    As ebaines said, if they have been performing services under this contract, then they can't say the clause is invalid.

On the other hand, the clause needs to be read carefully. Is the amount of increase limited to being calculated year to year or can it be averaged out.

Oct 24, 2013, 09:42 AM
    It states "rate adjustment may not exceed 6% per year". What I am asking for is for them refund the total amount we have paid over the amount we should have. They are saying there attorney is saying it is not a valid clause.

Oct 24, 2013, 09:57 AM
    Well tell them your legal advisors have told you that it is valid and why. I would start looking for another provider and tell them if they don't refund the overcharge, you will take your business elsewhere and sue them for the overcharge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need more contracts [ 1 Answers ]

I've been in business for a year as a sub contractor. I have LLC. And insurance but don't really know how to find my own contracts and I'm ready to move forward any advice on what to do?

How To Get Contracts [ 3 Answers ]

I have just started my own business doing hand assemble work for a local company in the town, I was wondering how to write a letter to other companys asking if they have any work that they would contract out. Many Thanks Mark

How to get contracts [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the cleaning business since 1994 and the most is residentials customers. I will like to come bigger and do big contracts like a shopping center or government contracts. I advertised by the internet but no result for big contract. What to do? Sincerely yours, MR. EFFICIENT

Need contracts [ 2 Answers ]

I'm starting a cleaning business and was wandering how I go about getting some cleaning contracts help I don't know where to even look!

No contracts.. [ 4 Answers ]

My workplace is just getting quieter and queter. The boss has already got rid of someone as he isn't making enough money to cover his wages. He cut this guys wages, so he left. He was bascially trying to get rid of him. A lot of people are leaving and now there are only a few of us left. What...

View more questions Search