Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2005, 03:30 PM
    Wiring duct fans to my existing furnace
    Hello all. This is my first post on these here forums :)

I have been searching on the internet for weeks without success.

I have a Goodman B18099-13 Control Board on my furnace.

I've installed multiple duct fans in my duct work in order to increase the airflow through my wall/floor registers, but I'd like them to turn on at the same time as the main blower turns on.

Where can I tap into (on the control board) in order to do this? The duct fans operate on 120 volts AC. My main blower has 5 wires coming from it; black (?), white (neutral), red (?), orange (?) & yellow (?). I am not sure which one does what.

Any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Kpj.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2005, 07:20 PM
    If I really had a good answer. I would have posted sooner. I don't have a copy of the installation manual for your furnace either, which is what is needed to answer your question. After finding time to study the manual for my furnace, I am going to do what I can. The black and other colored wires are for different speeds for the blower. My furnace, Bryant, has 2 different firing rates plus high and low cool. There are various switches and relays that select the speed the blower runs at. Some of the speeds are not used. That is controlled by moving wires around on the control board. With black on the high speed heat terminal, mine runs the fastest. There is a relay, controlled by a timer on the board, that activates which ever speed is selected by the other switches. If you can identify the terminal of that relay, or the equivalent of the high speed heat terminal, that is what you want to tie into. It is not hot until the furnace has had time to heat the air so it doesn't come out cold at first. I hope this gives you a little to work on so you can figure it out.
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2005, 09:41 AM
    Labman,

Thanks for your response. I actually was able to figure this out on Saturday. I used a multi-meter & found out where 120v was once the blower kicked on. The spot was labeled "EAC" (not sure what that means).

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to respond. I greatly appreciate it!

Kpj

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a new furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I had a furnace installed in my home (new construction) and am doing the wiring myself. I know that I need a fuseable switch at the furnace but where and how does the transformer get connected for the thermostat? Never wired a furnace before.:confused:

Flexi Duct vrs Aluminum Duct [ 4 Answers ]

I am adding an addition onto my house. The local building inspector has already told me my HVAC unit is more than adequate in size to support the addition. The old duct vents are aluminum. Can or should I use flexi venting in the new part? What are the pros and cons of these two types of vent...

Furnace A/C wiring [ 7 Answers ]

I have an old Carrier/Bryant natural gas central heating and A/C system circa 1980. I recently installed a new thermostat and when I traced down the existing wiring I found something interesting: there is no A/C transformer in the furnace, only the furnace transformer. The two wires from the A/C...

Wiring up a gas furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my first post here. I just bought a used Lennox gas furnace for my workshop. The electrical cable was just cllipped off, leaving 6 inches of cable coming out of a fused on/off switch. It appears to be 12-3 with ground. There's red,black, white and ground. I would expect this is 220, with the...

Furnace fan switch wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I have an oil furnace, controlled by a thermostat that only has 2 wires going to it, but I want to be able to turn on the fan only from the fan switch on the t-stat. There do not appear to be any further connections at the furnace to hook up to, and the fan switch at the furnace (which can be set...

View more questions Search