Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Oct 22, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Jehovah's Witness, some questions about the religion...
    I would like to know why Jehovah's witness' don't celebrate holidays and Their beliefs surrounding the sanctity of marriage and if some one "commits" adultery, to get a divorce, then where do they stand in the Jehovah's Witness religious community. (No I'm not affiliated with any religions and I'm not talking about myself.) Any who, I also require information on the relationship between husband and wife, such as are the women to serve their husbands? How are step children viewed and is it important for the step child to take the name of a step father? What is the relationship of children with their parents, aside from honor thy parents and such. What exactly does it mean to honor thy parents? Is there a way to respect the right for a child's parent to practice the J.W. Religion and still show the child there are other options?

I am looking for some information, please give references as to where you got your information. Be it the Bible or historical findings from credited researchers or historians. Quotes and book titles and page numbers would be grand, thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 23, 2013, 03:24 AM
    We won't do your research for you, Nestorian; go to the library and start digging if you want answers to your religion questions.

'Give references'? We are all volunteers here with full time jobs to fill our time, there is no way that anyone here is going to look up this information for you and give you a running reference, quotes, book titles and page numbers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2013, 09:00 AM
    Easy, invite some to come to your home, from the local church. They will be glad to.

These are very direct and specific questions, so yes they have to effect your someway, I will assume that some family member is involved and it is effecting you.

I guess why you care to know, most people unless there is a reason, care less what other religions believe.
    askmemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
    To get the right answer go to www.jw.org
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Oct 23, 2013, 11:05 AM
    Exactly, if you want to know what somebody believes, ask the people directly who believe it.

Oct 26, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Easy, invite some to come to your home, from the local church. They will be glad to.

These are very direct and specific questions, so yes they have to effect your someway, I will assume that some family member is involved and it is effecting you.

I guess why you care to know, most people unless there is a reason, care less what other religions believe.
    Dear poster, although I understand your point, I've posted here and gave references and I figured it was worth a shot to hear the words from some one who was apart of the religion. Maybe they could help me understand their point of view. I know and understand you are a volunteer but if I was willing I just thought maybe some one else out there would be willing. Thanks for your opinion. Have a good one.

Oct 26, 2013, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by askmemom View Post
    To get the right answer go to Jehovah
    Yes I've been reading from their bible on line. It's helpful and all but I was hoping there was some kind of historical evidence out there that wasn't from the bible. But I appreciate your information. Thank you. :)

Oct 26, 2013, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Exactly, if you want to know what somebody believes, ask the people directly who believe it.
    I have been thinking the same thing, but few are willing to try and give historical evidence from other sources. They believe in the Bible or believe in what it represents and tend not to refer to other sources. Which is fine. Thank you though. Have a good day.

Oct 26, 2013, 12:38 PM
    Sorry guys wasn't looking for a hand out just a little help, I haven't read every book and I'm not the best reader so I was just hoping there might be some other sources to look into. Was worth a shot thanks for your responses. Peace be with you. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2013, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post
    Sorry guys wasn't looking for a hand out just a little help, I haven't read every book and I'm not the best reader so I was just hoping there might be some other sources to look into. Was worth a shot thanks for your responses. Peace be with you. :)
    Do you have specific questions? -- or just the ones in your first post?

Have you gone to a public library? In the 200s (the religion section), there are books about every Christian denomination, sect, and world religion. If you don't see what you want, the librarian will get it for you through interlibrary loan. If you don't want to read, ask about books on CD or a DVD about the JWs.

Oct 26, 2013, 01:44 PM
    Dear poster, although I understand your point, I've posted here and gave references and I figured it was worth a shot to hear the words from some one who was apart of the religion. Maybe they could help me understand their point of view. I know and understand you are a volunteer but if I was willing I just thought maybe some one else out there would be willing. Thanks for your opinion. Have a good one.
    Sorry chuck I had intended that for Tickle. I've always respected your answers. You're advice of reason and understanding and insightful.

Yes another poster has suggested to do the same. I will try this. I'm a little afraid they will be little less than helpful as I am trying to find away to help my daughter experience things their religion doesn't approve of. Then again if I'm crafty enough I'll find away to keep them from finding out my reasons.

Yes my daughter's mother has decided to become a J.W. which is fine and well, I am just worried about her imposing on my activities I can share with my daughter. Christmas is a time to be with family, not our desire to celebrate a Pagan religious beliefs, not to mention the one time of year I'll have time off from work to see every body, and my family celebrates Christmas at that time but we're not allowed to have my daughter if we are doing anything to do with christmas. Kind of excludes my daughter if I can't take her to see my cousins, aunts, uncles and everyone else while exchanging gifts or if the kids are watching a christmas movie or it they are decorating the christmas tree. I mean really I can't just exclude my family to spend time with her and I can't exclude her to spend time with them. Haha, be kind of unreasonable to do so, right? Her mother said I'm not to do any of that with my daughter. I really don't know how to handle this and be respectful of her mother's new found religion. Most likely her reasons for becoming a JW are connected heavily to her newest "Boy friend" who is a JW. Also very concerning. So I hope that explains my reasoning. Thanks for asking Chuck. That's very perceptive of you.

As I have said I'm reading the bible online... not really finding what I need. But I'll keep at it. I write to my daughter, I've two books of about 300 pages combind about my day and ask how her day is, tell her about what she and I do when we spend time together and share memories of us and family with her, and I draw her pictures and I write lines of music from songs I like and I try to give her good sound relationship advice and about religious beliefs and that there are many different one. I try to tell her that it's up to her which path she wants to follow and that there are healthy ones and some that may not be as healthy, giving a much evidence as possible. I never really say any one religion is wrong, because as far as I know they're all right. I even tell her about mythology and how all these beliefs are, as I see them, a means to help us understand the world around us and to give us moral guidance. Who am I to discredit any one belief system. “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” - Buddha.

Although I do find all religions/myths interesting as they help me understand why people behave as they do. Makes it easier to forgive someone, but tis best not to look at their beliefs as right or wrong, but objectively people are inspired or compelled to behave because their beliefs.

Thanks every one.

Oct 26, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you have specific questions? -- or just the ones in your first post?

Have you gone to a public library? In the 200s (the religion section), there are books about every Christian denomination, sect, and world religion. If you don't see what you want, the librarian will get it for you through interlibrary loan. If you don't want to read, ask about books on CD or a DVD about the JWs.
    That's really good idea thanks.

Oh I have many questions. But for now just finding a way to defend my daughters right to experience both parents whole heartedly. I just need to find a way for her to be around when I'm free to see her, holidays. I'm not religious and am not trying to impose upon my ex anything just want to include my daughter in my life and to be included in hers with out having to fear the wrath of my daughter's mother. She can be a little stubborn and aggressive when I don't agree with her decisions. Any way, if you have any specific quotes or books that may help me respectfully coax or explain to my ex why my daughter should be allowed to participate in my families activities, I'd be all for hearing it. Thanks.

Oct 26, 2013, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    We won't do your research for you, Nestorian; go to the library and start digging if you want answers to your religion questions.

'Give references'? We are all volunteers here with full time jobs to fill our time, there is no way that anyone here is going to look up this information for you and give you a running reference, quotes, book titles and page numbers.
    Thank you again Tickle, I have been doing research, but I was hoping maybe someone would know some other sources or points I could make to defend my daughter's right to being apart of my life and me being apart of her. I didn't not intend to seem lazy or disrespectful, just was hoping for a little more support or rather insight.

For future reference, perhaps avoid answering questions that annoy you or that you don't find require your help. Although I appreciate your insight and it is valid, I would say to you that I've done research for others and have given quotes. If you are not willing to do the same for someone, then perhaps tis best to remain silent and let them sort their own issues out. After all, we are here voluntarily and don't have to reply to every one. So breath, you'll live longer. Haha. It's OK if you don't want to help or don't think I deserve it and I don't expect anything from you or any one else. ;)

Have a good one eh. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2013, 02:38 PM
    That's really good idea thanks.

Oh I have many questions. But for now just finding a way to defend my daughters right to experience both parents whole heartedly. I just need to find a way for her to be around when I'm free to see her, holidays. I'm not religious and am not trying to impose upon my ex anything just want to include my daughter in my life and to be included in hers with out having to fear the wrath of my daughter's mother. She can be a little stubborn and aggressive when I don't agree with her decisions. Any way, if you have any specific quotes or books that may help me respectfully coax or explain to my ex why my daughter should be allowed to participate in my families activities, I'd be all for hearing it. Thanks.
    I checked WorldCat and found some cassette tapes about the JWs and other cults (non-biased, historical info as well as doctrinal stuff). Cassette tapes are mostly archaic now, so was looking for book CDs and DVDs and even stuff on YouTube (there are a few there).

Your ex is a JW? How old is your daughter?

My friend Cathy became a Witness after doing home study with a woman from the local church. Cathy has two children and a husband who are NOT Witnesses, so she has retooled holiday celebrations into family celebrations but gave them different names to make an end run around the JW rules. Instead of giving gifts, she and her family choose a local charity or two and give their time and talents in celebration for that occasion. She has discovered that it's difficult to be a Witness when the rest of her family is not, but she's (and they're) managing fairly well.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Does you ex-wife's new stipulations comply with the visitations rights or other conditions of the divorce order?

Oct 27, 2013, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Does you ex-wife's new stipulations comply with the visitations rights or other conditions of the divorce order?
    We were never married, and we've been to court but they gave her 100% custody, and pretty much that's all that matters because it's not worth going to court knowing the other person has the final say any way. Yes the judge did say she has the final say, and needs only to take my concerns into consideration as I have 50% guardianship. It doesn't really matter. It looks like she is moving back to the city she just left because "there's no family supports for them there." Haha. Thanks for the information and help though. It would have been a good idea had I did a little better in court.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 28, 2013, 03:00 AM
    Thank you again Tickle, I have been doing research, but I was hoping maybe someone would know some other sources or points I could make to defend my daughter's right to being apart of my life and me being apart of her. I didn't not intend to seem lazy or disrespectful, just was hoping for a little more support or rather insight.

For future reference, perhaps avoid answering questions that annoy you or that you don't find require your help. Although I appreciate your insight and it is valid, I would say to you that I've done research for others and have given quotes. If you are not willing to do the same for someone, then perhaps tis best to remain silent and let them sort their own issues out. After all, we are here voluntarily and don't have to reply to every one. So breath, you'll live longer. Haha. It's OK if you don't want to help or don't think I deserve it and I don't expect anything from you or any one else. ;)

Have a good one eh. :)
    If you had given a little more insight into the reason behind your question I would probably not have been less 'harsh'. Your were assuming some of us were theologians who could give you explanations and back it up with links and references. WG suggested your local library, that is where I would have gone.

The scope of your question was, shall I say, intimidating. And you have a great too, eh!

Nov 3, 2013, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If you had given a little more insight into the reason behind your question I would probably not have been less 'harsh'. Your were assuming some of us were theologians who could give you explanations and back it up with links and references. WG suggested your local library, that is where I would have gone.

The scope of your question was, shall I say, intimidating. And you have a great too, eh!
    That is some sound advice and I'll try to remember that for next time tickle. Haha, Will do, Eh! ;P
    Reno12 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2013, 01:36 AM
    Religion is a very tuff topic to talk about or even grasp for that matter. Often "Religions" like JW are considered a Cult. Just depends on who you talk to. Same with asking about topics of marriage and things like that. One religion may give you 10 verses or reason why you are going to "hell" for judging someone, yet give you 10 verses or reasons it is OK for the church to "Judge" you and be able to go to heaven for it. Its all a matter of interpretation of the verses and they can be extremely distorted to go in favor with their own belief or doctrine. Instead, why not keep it simple... try to follow the Ten Commandments as best as you can if you need some type of guide line, be loving, forgiving, and the best that you can possibly be to everything and anything out there and you will have it made.

Dec 1, 2013, 09:22 PM
    Thank you all very much. You have all give such helpful and insightful answers. Some times we just need a nudge in the right direction as we are often too focused on the emotional difficulties we are faced with and therefor can not see past our own opinions on such matters. I have been doing research, mostly just reading the bible (actually several interpretations, very confusing.) and researching the history of J.W. I've realized that the only thing I can do is my best to support my daughter, as I can clearly see she will be going to church, praying before meals and at bed time (To which I think it is healthy to recognize the things we are grateful for.) and will be asking me why I don't do these things. There is more dramatic consequences but that's for me to sort out and deal with. ;)

Again, thank you all. That means you too tickle. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crime to expose identity of witness in federal witness protection program? [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone cite me to the statute that makes exposing identity of witness in federal witness protection program a crime?

Witness Protection Questions [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a writer doing research for a fiction novel and stumbled across this website - hope someone can help me! :) I have a few questions about the witness protection program. First off, can a noncriminal be placed into the program? Every website I've looked at so far has only mentioned...

Jehovah witness wedding gift [ 3 Answers ]

Is it appropriate to give money as a wedding gift at a Jehovah witness wedding?

View more questions Search