Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Naoj Sema Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Help after coming home from prison.
    My son was recently released from prison and I am writing seeking any assistance that will help he begin his life anew. Are there any groups that he can join that can assist in finding employment. Also need a support group to help him with this transition back into society. He is 29 years old and has a daughter 9 years of age; he has been married for 2 years. We live in New York City and he received his GED while in prison. Any information would be greatly accepted.
    Yours truly a concerned Mother. Thank you.

>email address removed per site rules<
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
    New York is huge, what borough? Truthfully, it isn't going to be easy while we are still in a recession (despite some encouraging numbers). Many people are tromping the sidewalks applying for any jobs they can get. Some of the ones no one wants start very early in the morning, like bakeries, donut shops, newspaper distributors, fast food takeout. Word of mouth through old friends and family is usually best. If he wants to learn a trade, he could apply at a gas station for changing oil or tires. He could look into trade school loans or scholarships for 1 year training.
    As for support, I would ask the nearest AA meetings, of which there should be several right near you, every day or evening. Even if he isn't an alcoholic, he can sit in and start connecting.
    It's all work. It's a struggle for everyone. He's going to have to do this himself. It won't be handed to him. There were years past when the country was rich and had lots of help centers, but no more.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Also, check with Catholic Charities and Lutheran Social Services. Join a church and ask for sponsorship and various kinds of help with employment and budgeting, etc. Check at a public library's reference desk to get a list of more options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner in prison left all content in the home who can claim it. [ 2 Answers ]

The owner of a nearby home went to jail and now I'm seeing people around the house. I was wondering how do you go about claiming what's in the house.

Any advice for a federal inmate requesting a transfer to a prison nearer to home? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any advice you might have for a fed inmate who is considering making a request for transfer to a prison nearer to home? Are there any particular factors or points that an inmate's case worker is going to look for when considering an inmate's request for transfer? In their transfer request...

Being Kicked out because owner coming home [ 4 Answers ]

Here is my situation. I am currently in a lease with two other people and it ends in about five months. It is not month to month but has a very specific begin and end date. We just got a call from our landlord that we have about a month to move out because the owner is coming back from overseas...

When is chris coming home [ 2 Answers ]

When is chris coming home to me and our son he has said he was but nothing is happened

View more questions Search