Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissamartin78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Is it a HIPPA violation to be billed for my husband's medical service?
    My husband was in the hospital back in May and the physician is billing me for this. I just got a collection notice because the bill hasn't been paid. I kept asking my husband to call the billing office and explain to them that he is the patient and he should be the one being billed, not me. He never called. The collection notice states that if payment in full is not received within 39 days, it will be turned over the credit bureau. Is it a HIPPA violation for them to be billing me and not my husband? I know that if I called to discuss his services, the office would not talk to me because that is a HIPPA violation. Does this fall under the same category? Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2013, 08:26 AM
    Did your husband name you as the responsible party when he was hospitalized? If so, that's probably why you got the bill.

Why doesn't he just pay it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Is he covered under your insurance?

No its not a HIPAA violation unless his diagnoses and treatment is part of the billing. Even then it is iffy.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 22, 2013, 11:01 AM
    I can not fully answer your question because we do not know the details of his service on the bill or if your husband signed off on you as a party to have his information shared with on the HIPPA form
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 22, 2013, 11:06 AM
    You are married and presumably live together. When this goes to collections and eventually a court judgment, the judge won't care which of you it was.
    You might have a slim chance of a HIPAA violation depending on what you signed when he was in the hospital, but I doubt it. And HIPAA won't award you any damages if you didn't sign any papers, and they have a tendency to deny close to 99% of all reports.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Do I claim my medical bills on my taxes the year they are billed or paid? [ 1 Answers ]

Do I claim my medical expenses on my taxes the year they are bill or the year they are paid?

Is it a HIPPA if my spouse uses medical records in court? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been with my spouse for 10yrs and she and I are in the middle of a custody battle of a child that is both legally ours. My mother died tragically 1.5yrs ago and I had an episode of medications that may have caused this and I stated to police I wanted to be with my mom. I was completely out...

Hippa violation [ 1 Answers ]

To my boss told me that another boss and some managers were discussing my hearing and that it was the second time it was brought up at a meeting. She wanted documentation that I was wearing my hearing aids and discussed this with other managers. Although I have never discussed it with my boss is...

No medical treatment but billed [ 14 Answers ]

My husband fell off a ladder and the back of his arm hit me on the nose. It was bleeding a lot. I went to the emergency room and stayed for about 2 hours without medical treatment. A nurse had taken my blood pressure,weight and some medical info that took less than 5 minutes. I left to seek...

View more questions Search