Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
    Dog Leg?
    So, when I was in the repair business, I never heard of anything on a car referred to as a dog leg. I just found a car at auction that I am interested in (2003 Tribute) that looks good all around except for in the dealer notes it says: Rusted dog leg.

So... what is a rusted dog leg?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 11:05 AM
    If it's rusted, it must be this:

The area behind the rear door on a four-door car. This area is part of the quarter panel just behind the door and in front of the rear wheel house. (Wikipedia)
    Entomology Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 11:26 AM
    Thanks. I thought about that but I have to be honest, with all the cars I've seen through auction, never once has anyone disclosed rust in that area... it's something that they kind of wait for you to find on your own. It can't be arbitrated for rust there so they never disclose it. This is why I thought it might be something else. Although, I guess a dealer selling a car through auction could have hit their head and somehow got a conscience.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Maybe rusted from road salt?

Do cars still rust?
    Entomology Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Oh, they rust just fine... too easily around here. I have seen that spot rust plenty. What makes me wonder is why it was reported on the run list since it isn't something that you can arbitrate anyway. I assumed it would be something in the suspension or front end that wasn't visible.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If it's rusted, it must be this:

The area behind the rear door on a four-door car. This area is part of the quarter panel just behind the door and in front of the rear wheel house. (Wikipedia)
    You are GOOD! Yes, that is what and where it is. Make sure the car wasn't flooded.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    You are GOOD! Yes, that is what and where it is. Make sure the car wasn't flooded.
    Thanks! I even know what a quarter panel is. (used to work at a State Farm claim center)
    Entomology Expert

Nov 1, 2013, 10:30 AM
    Well, I forgot about this....

I went to the auction and I got to see this dog leg.

Still makes me wonder why they reported it as they usually won't report something that is so obvious.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog has pain in leg? [ 6 Answers ]

My Dog is 12 yrs old lab/golden retriver and is limping on his right back leg, when he tries to stand up it is like the right leg is hurting him, he is not crying with pain, just limping. I give him medication for arthritis. Was wondering if I could give him asprin or tylenol?

Why is my dog humping my leg? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old lab mix who recently started humpig my leg whenever she gets the chance and she gets aggressive when I try to pull her off she is not spayed because we breed her what do I do

My dog hurt his leg [ 28 Answers ]

My siberian husky hurt his leg last night and now his eyes are white. He doesn't want to walk on his hurt leg at all. He does seem to want to do much of anything now. Please help

My dog leg hurts. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, our dog Dixie just started to not use her back left leg to support her. She uses anything that can support her to keep her upright. It's very heart breaking to see her like this. She is part Chow & Border Collie. She is a old dog, had her for 10 years. She got hit by a hit-and-run driver about...

My dog hurt his leg [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what type of over the counter medicines I can give my dog for inflammation.

View more questions Search