Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2013, 09:19 PM
    Sponsoring children
    When applying for naturalization, can I include my child born outside US in the application? If not, after I get naturalized as a US citizen, can I sponsor green card/citizenship for my child born outside US? How long will it take for the child to get green card/citizenship? In the meanwhile, can I bring my child to U.S on a Visa? Thanks
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Oct 21, 2013, 12:18 PM
    When applying for naturalization, can I include my child born outside US in the application?
    No

If not, after I get naturalized as a US citizen, can I sponsor green card/citizenship for my child born outside US?
    Yes, you can petition for your child to get a green card. But you can already do that right now as a permanent resident if the child is not married (the wait times are slightly different; you can always upgrade the petition once you naturalize).

How long will it take for the child to get green card/citizenship?
    It depends on the category and their country of birth. See the latest visa bulletin. Children under 18 of a U.S. Citizen is always no wait. Unmarried children over 18 of a citizen (F1) currently has about a 7 year wait for most countries. Married children (F3) currently has about a 10 year wait for most countries.

In the meanwhile, can I bring my child to U.S on a Visa?
    The child can apply for a U.S. visa. There is no guarantee they will get it, or if they get it, that they will be let in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sponsoring a sister with Down syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm new here. I am a naturalized US citizen. My sister is 25 years old with Down syndrome living with my parents back home. As I understand, sponsoring siblings takes a long time (10+ years?). Is there any special case for sponsoring a disabled sibling (based on humanitarian ground for...

Sponsoring a family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can a green card son of 25 years old sponsor his/her parent even if the child is not a US Citizen yet? Thank you in advance :)

Non-for-Profit Sponsoring [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I am with the Religions for Peace Organization in NY and I am researching organizations that sponsor non-for-profit communications efforts (ie. Brochures, newsletters, printing, duplication, etc.). Where can I start my research? Thanks! Religions4Peace

View more questions Search