Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxcole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2005, 09:54 AM
    Math puzzle: piece missing?
    I'm no longer fluent in math :rolleyes: but retain some ability in algebra after all these years...

Still, I'm having trouble setting up a problem from a puzzle calendar that a friend gave me. It seems like a piece is missing, although I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Here's the quote:

Rachel wanted to buy some tiny favors for a Mardi Gras party. She tried to drive a hard bargain and succeeded. If she had paid $0.04 more per hundred, she would have received five fewer. How much did the favors cost per hundred?

Any hints or suggestions, or other comments? Thank you!
    Glipto Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2005, 09:46 PM
    x = cost per hundred
    y = units
    M = Rachel's money

M = x /100 * y
    or M = (x + 0.04)/100 * (y - 5)

xy = (x +0.04) * (y - 5)

y = 125 * x + 5 (many solutions)

M value is missing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

.925 silver jigsaw puzzle rings [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Apparently I'm looking for a hard to find item. I need a company that manufactures silver jigsaw puzzle rings. I've attached photos of the most common type of puzzle ring. I am only interested in puzzle rings and in companies that already make them. I'm looking for a...

Honeywell thrmostat- what is this piece? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm no electrician so bare with me... it a round thermostat that says honeywell in middle.. took the ring surrounding it off... can see the dial and screws that mount it but there is this adjustment slider thingy at the bottom.. what is it and where should I have it placed... also the person who...

4 Piece Shower Enclosure [ 3 Answers ]

"Do they make a drain receptor with female threads on the inside that could be glued to the 2" pipe afer the base is set, and with the drain grate screwing into that?" They do but I'm not too sure you can use it on a manufactured shower base. It's called a "flange type shower drain", (see image)...

A piece about forums in general, but mainly this one. [ 130 Answers ]

Please note this is a long rant, but I'm in that kind of mood. I have been active on this type of forum for many years. I started on the excellent WHQuestion, now dead, and have been active on a lot of other sites. Overall I have had a lot of fun and games and met some very fine people and had...

One piece shower leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a one piece shower that is leaking. I have taken the quarter round off around the front of the shower unit and the adjacent base boards and water is slowly seeping out from under the shower. The quarter round trim was very wet. Is there anyway to get the remaining water out from under the...

View more questions Search