Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acheybreakyheart Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Should I take these tablets at once?
    Hi ,

I am taking contraceptary pills. LEVONORGESTREL TABLETS BP----PILL 72 (PILL TO TAKE BEFORE 72 HOURS OF SEXUAL INTER COURSE).

This come with two tablets if you know.Can some body please tell me if I should take both the pills togather or with some time gap?

Please help
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Mar 29, 2007, 12:11 PM
    I would ask the pharmacist where you got them filled. If you bought them over the counter, than call your local pharmacy and ask them, or call your family doctor.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 12:23 PM
    I am upset , not at our poster, but at the doctor and the druggest.

A person should not have been given a prescription, and not told by both the doctor, and the drug store what she is to do with it. There should even be complete instructions with these.

And sadly this is about the third perosn this week alone with similar questions, do doctors not explian the medication they are giving out any longer

This web site http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/NewMaterial/h...s/levonorg.pdf
    Says to take one and take the other 12 hour latter, but this is a web site not your doctor.

Also the longer you wait to take the first pill the less effective it is, and none are 100 percent effective
    Here is the percentages off their web site
    Efficacy
    It has been estimated that Postinor- prevents 85% of expected pregnancies. Efficacy appears to decline with time after intercourse (95% within 24 hours, 85% if used between 24 and 48 hours and/or 58% if used between 48 and 72 hours). Efficacy after 72 hours is unknown.

Mar 29, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Fr_Chuck, some of these medications are over the counter and you do not have to talk to anyone to purchase them. That is why I made the suggestions as I did above. She didn't say whether she got them from a doctor or whether it was a precription. I have a feeling she bought the "morning after pill" and that you can get without a prescription and do not have to talk to anyone.
    brianneelizabeth Posts: 60, Reputation: 7

Mar 29, 2007, 01:14 PM
    You take one and then other other 12 hrs later I believe
    acheybreakyheart Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
    I did not ask any doctor as I didn't have much time to consult one.I found this solution on ASK ME it self.If you say its not recommended to follow the answer tat is found maximum times on ASK ME,then why do people answer these questions on this website or why do ASK ME exists?

Also my friends told me about 72 hours tablets so I was confident tat no side effects can happen.I didn't know there would be two tablets so I didn't ask them what should be the time limit between the first and second tablet.

Regards and thank you so much for those answers. :)
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
    I am even mad now, again not at the poster, but our government lets people buy these drugs without going to a doctor. Someone needs to be voted out of office for this. These are very serious drugs, not something like taking a asprin. Where is the FDA protecting our public on this one.
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Ust a note of some of the Warnings and Precautions
    Conditions which are regarded as relative contraindications include severe hypertension (BP>180+/110+), diabetes mellitus with nephropathy, retinopathy, neuropathy or vascular disease, ischaemic heart disease, stroke, or a past history of breast cancer. Since exposure to levonorgestrel with Postinor-2 is brief, the risks of pregnancy in all women, including those with pre-existing medical conditions, are almost certainly greater than those associated with Postinor-2. In individual cases, the risk-benefit ratio should be assessed by the practitioner in discussion with the patient.

Postinor-2 is not as effective as conventional regular methods of contraception and is suitable only as an emergency measure. Women who present for repeated courses of emergency contraception should be advised to consider a long-term method of contraception.

Emergency contraception does not protect against sexually transmitted infections.

Adverse Effects
    Nausea occurs in about 25% of women taking Postinor-2 and vomiting occurs in about 5% of women taking Postinor-2.

Bleeding patterns may be temporarily disturbed, but most women will have their next menstrual period at the expected time.

Some women may experience bleeding or spotting after taking Postinor-2 and some may experience early or delayed onset of menses. If the next menstrual period is more than 7 days overdue pregnancy should be excluded.

Other side effects include breast tenderness, headache, dizziness and fatigue.

Interactions
    Some drugs accelerate the metabolism of oral contraceptives taken concurrently. Drugs suspected of having the capacity to reduce the efficacy of oral contraceptives include:

Barbiturates
    Primidone
    Phenytoin
    Carbamazepine
    Phenylbutazone
    Rifampicin
    Ritonavir
    Ampicillin
    Griseofulvin
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2007, 01:25 PM
    These pill's are sold all over the world over the counter they are really exspensive and do actually come with instructions I do wonder what you did with the box and the leaflet in the box things are there for a reason and normally people read them.

Mar 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Fr_Chuck, I agree, these forms of over the counter do it yourself abortions should be banned. No woman should be doing any of this (whether its right or wrong) without the supervision of a doctor. But unfortunately this was brought before our lawmakers and passed not that long ago. It was a controversial issue for many years and those against it lost the fight. I do not agree with them at all! This could be very dangerous for some women especially those who are not sure how to take them properly! Hint hint...
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 07:45 PM
    I am more concerned at this point over the mis-use of the drug, more so than even the abortion issue ( although that can be discussed on another thread sometime)

But I have been reading and reading, and as the post mentioned they were asking about taking them "BEFORE" not after, I can't get my blood pressure medication, or even my allergy medication without talking to my doctor but a medication that can hurt a pregnant women, what if a hateful boyfriend slipped this to their girlfriend who was expecting?
    I have read a few posts on here that would make me worry.

Yes I did a search and saw that you can even buy them online. This is the most terrifing thing I have seen in a long time.

They should have to at least talk to the druggest before they could buy them.

Mar 30, 2007, 09:57 AM
    I completely agree with you Fr_Chuck, I think all this stuff surrounding over the counter and prescription drugs is way out of hand!
    ResearchLover Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2009, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I am upset , not at our poster, but at the doctor and the druggest.

A person should not have been given a prescription, and not told by both the doctor, and the drug store what she is to do with it. There should even be complete instructions with these.

And sadly this is about the third perosn this week alone with simular questions, do doctors not explian the medication they are giving out any longer

This web site http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/NewMaterial/h...s/levonorg.pdf
    says to take one and take the other 12 hour latter, but this is a web site not your doctor.

Also the longer you wait to take the first pill the less effective it is, and none are 100 percent effective
    Here is the percentages off of thier web site
    Efficacy
    It has been estimated that Postinor- prevents 85% of expected pregnancies. Efficacy appears to decline with time after intercourse (95% within 24 hours, 85% if used between 24 and 48 hours and/or 58% if used between 48 and 72 hours). Efficacy after 72 hours is unknown.
    I think many times the dr give adequate directions---but people fail to listen... which is why they wind up here asking medical questions of complete strangers who many times aren't qualified to answer them.
    mallaikaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 05:33 AM
    If 72 hrs is about to end take them both, at once, if not just take one then wait after 12hrs take another. BUT make sure it range within those 72hrs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone used Pallid Skin Lightening Tablets [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if anyone has used Pallid Skin Lightening Tablets Or know someone who did?. if not maybe I get it and if it helps I'll let you guys kow e-mail me if you had used it or know someone who did thanks! EMAIL REMOVED

Anti-booze tablets [ 5 Answers ]

My brother has a drinking problem, he uses anti-booze tablets, and was told that if he eats a few banana's, shortly after taking the tablet it neutrilizes the anti-booze tablet. Is this true?

View more questions Search