Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alyazia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2013, 07:48 AM
    Questions for a social worker!
    I need someone who majors in social work to answer these question, and what kind of social worker are you? For example, hospital social worker, school social worker etc. :
    1- how did you become involved in social work? (how did you select this major)
    2- What does a typical day looks for you?( what problems? How many clients per day?)
    3- What would you do if you happen to be in an awkward situation? if you have an example.
    4- What are some difficulties in social work job?
    5- how do you organize your work life and personal life?
    6- Where do you see yourself after 5 or 10 years?
    7- Do you have any advice or tips that can help me be a better social worker?

Please answer ASAP! Thank you!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2013, 10:11 AM
    I earned a grad degree in counseling psychology, but one of my internships was for nine months as a social worker.

What kind of social worker are you? I worked for (interned for) the Illinois Department on Aging. My base was a senior center in one of the Chicago suburbs.

1- how did you become involved in social work? (how did you select this major) I thoroughly enjoyed worked with patrons of all ages and personality types as a librarian, so I decided to learn more about human psychology and how to help people with personal problems.

2- What does a typical day looks for you?( what problems? How many clients per day?) When I was doing the Aging internship, I had probably five to seven clients on each of the two days I was there. Because it was an internship, I continued to work at my library job and also attended grad classes. And because all the the seniors I dealt with were homebound, I had to travel to their homes, so that took up time.

3- What would you do if you happen to be in an awkward situation? if you have an example. My supervisor had told me not to eat anything when I visited my homebound clients. I was there to help them with Medicare forms and maybe do counseling. Of course, these seniors had been raised to be good hosts and to be gracious, so I always was given a cup of tea or coffee and maybe cookies or cake. One male client offered me pretzels and a can of 7Up. I decided I would ignore my supervisor's order and erred on the side of being gracious in return by sharing a snack with my clients. It always improved our connection because it gave us time to chat and get to know each other for a short time before we got down to business. My accepting the treat helped the senior feel worthwhile and more trusting of me.

4- What are some difficulties in social work job? Since my clients were all homebound, I had to have local maps handy so I didn't get lost. Also, traveling here, there, and everywhere added to the effort. But visiting people in their own homes has a tremendous advantage over seeing them in an office. In my next internship with Catholic Charities, I continued with home visits as often as I could, even though it wasn't required.

5- how do you organize your work life and personal life? As well as I could. My children were old enough to do laundry, vacuum, wash dishes, and clean the bathroom. My husband did the grocery shopping. I'd been at the library long enough that my boss allowed me to arrange my own hours, as long as the cataloging work got done in a timely manner. With good communication and organization, it worked.

6- Where do you see yourself after 5 or 10 years? I graduated in 1991 with an M.S. in counseling psych and continued to make home visits as well as work at the library. Along the way, I joined a counseling group and rented office space. In 2009, I retired from counseling and the library because of personal health problems.

7- Do you have any advice or tips that can help me be a better social worker? Listen rather than talk. Empathize. Join a group practice so you will have professional support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social care worker [ 1 Answers ]

What are two standards if confidentiality and shaing information of a social care worker?

Question about Social Worker & DCF [ 2 Answers ]

This is a rather strange question,and not sure where to post this... and rather in-depth. The brief of it all, is that we were on a waiting list for 2 years for my daughter (11 now) to see a therapist, we were not told that the social worker that we would be seeing just got her license the day that...

My social worker [ 6 Answers ]

I have just found my couisins and been talking to them for some time I visited my social worker about a month ago and let her read the conversations there were stuff in there that wasn't true I really would like a cell phone except for now since I did that I have to think of ways to regain trust...

Social worker college time [ 2 Answers ]

If I wanted to be a social worker, how many years of college would I need? And what kind of classes would I have to take?

View more questions Search