Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lkbailey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Craftsman lawn tractor model 917270910 won't start
    I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor model number 917270910. It will not start. I tried a new battery even though the one on it checked out okay. It will not even turn over. I replaced the fuse but the original looked fine. What else should I do?
    whailey Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lkbailey
    I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor model number 917270910. It will not start. I tried a new battery even though the one on it checked out okay. It will not even turn over. I replaced the fuse but the original looked fine. What else should I do?
    Check the wires on the back of the switch then the wires to the starter sounds like one or the other have broken.

Mar 29, 2007, 05:14 PM
    I checked the wires but what switch are you referring to?

Mar 29, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lkbailey
    I checked the wires but what switch are you referring to?

What do you use to start it button or key? Check the wires behind it.

Mar 29, 2007, 05:23 PM
    I use a key and I unplugged and replugged in wires there. I didn't see any wires that looked like they were loose or cut.

Mar 29, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Take a wire tester see if you have power in the wires at the starter, and at the key.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 29, 2007, 08:28 PM
    On a rider the first thing to do is check for 12+ volts at the battery,
    -If that is good ceck for volts at the battery side of the solenoid
    -Turn key to "Start" position and check for volts at the small wire on the side of the soleniod
    -If no volts there a safety switch is probably telling the machine not to start
    -if there are volts 12+ then put your volt meter on the starter side of the solenoid
    -If there are no volts you have a bad solenoid, If there are 12+ volts the nthe stater is bad.

Good luck and post response
    Don
    CRNeville Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 05:16 PM
    2 suggestions: Be sure the mower clutch is disengaged - it has a switch which won't allow it to start. Also, you should step on the clutch/brake pedal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears Model 917.256524 Lawn tractor 15.5 HP [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 15.5 Hp Craftsman lawn tractor. It starts fine but when you push the blade lever up to engage the blades the mower dies. Also if you let out on the brake/clutch pedel the mower stops. Note: the blade safety switch is OK and so is the clutch safety switch as is the seat safety switch. Any...

Craftsman 20.0 electric start 42 inch automatic lawn tractor mower clutch [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Craftsman 20.0 hp electric start 42" mower automatic lawn tractor Model 917.270940 and it appears the cable that allows you to engage the blades has broken. How do you either fix this problem or do we need to purchase a new cable. If we need a new cable how is it installed... I need...

Craftsman 16.5 Lawn Tractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced the mower clutch cable on my 16.5 HP Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor with a 42" deck. After doing so, the transmission to the tractor will not engage. All the belts seem to be in place. I did not replace the clutch carriage bolt yet, as indicated by the instructions, after...

Craftsman 16.5 Lawn Tractor - Front Axle [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a twisted front axle. Since I will need to replace this soon, I'd figure to replace the welded axle with a cast iron replacement. I called the SEARS 1-800 number to get a similar models which would be a universal cast iron axle I could order & replace. ...

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 HP Craftsman lawn tractor that will not move. The clutch works and it goes into gearbut the flat wheel spins and the gear wheel seems too have not enough pressure on it to move. Could this be just a loose drive belt? Thanks, Charlie

View more questions Search