Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bouch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
    Hearing loss due to knee replacement surgery
    I am a college graduate, female, 59 years young, resident of Ross County, Ohio. I had a total knee replacement surgery 8/12/13 and am doing well with recovery. However, I discovered immediately after the surgery that I had a severe hearing loss in one ear. I advised all my doctors of this issue. I was advised by one health professional that maybe it will come back as quick as it left - could be positional. My surgeon told me that he did not operate on my ears. I went to an ENT and he said that only an infection, loud noise, or blood clot or tumor would cause my type of hearing loss. I found out later that medications, particularly an antibiotic, may have been one of the "bad guys". In the USA, ototoxic antibiotics damage millions of people’s ears each year, yet few people are aware of just how common this really is. My audiologist says a hearing aid or BAHA implant would assist me. How do we get the word out? I feel if they knew this could have happened, I should have been advised of that risk before surgery. Do I have any legal recourse? A hearing aid is very expensive. The idea of having surgery for the BAHA implant or any kind of surgery is very daunting... now!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2013, 06:51 AM
    Hello B:
    Do I have any legal recourse?
    Maybe. Talk it over with a medical malpractice lawyer. He won't charge you for a consultation.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 06:58 AM
    The question is... Were you given one of those ototoxic antibiotics?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oxycodone after knee surgery [ 1 Answers ]

I had knee surgery and have been on oxycodone. I took 5-325 mg once at night and once in the morning. I took it exactly 22 days straight. I will be off exactly 13 days for my drug test. It's an official IOC/ Wada test for a sanctioned bench press meet. Will it be enough time to be out of my...

Upcoming knee surgery [ 8 Answers ]

I'm about to have some major knee reconstructive surgery. My dr. is very good and the best around town (I've asked around a lot). But he doesn't have the best bedside manner and doesn't do a good job at answering questions completely. I pretty much tore my ACL and all other ligaments but 2. ...

Knee surgery is preventing [ 4 Answers ]

I want to lose 15-20 pounds by this summer but I'm realizing that with all of the workouts I do, I'm gaining a lot of muscle and not losing the weight. What am I doing wrong?

DJD Knee Surgery [ 2 Answers ]

My DR is sending me to a Orthopedic Surgery he said that I need knee Surgery that I have DJD I was wondering if anyone one knows how long I would be out of work? Thanks

View more questions Search