Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwilliams1990 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2013, 02:38 PM
    Love sick
    My boyfriend and I are almost complete opposites... but the things he lacks I have and vice versa. So how do I know if he really loves me? Im touchy lovey dovey and he's help in every way I can and be there when I need be.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 02:43 PM
    There's an old saying, "Opposites attract." My husband and I are almost complete opposites and have had to compromise on a number of things. That's what good communication is all about. Are you willing to compromise -- for instance, to be less lovey dovey and not expect the same from him?

Oct 17, 2013, 02:59 PM
    I try.. for instance I was afraid to enter this relationship because I was in a bad one before... but he was so kind and waited for me to be comfortable. So I quit my job and moved an hour and a half to be with him. After I found another job of course.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 03:03 PM
    So what exactly is your concern? You moved to be with him, perhaps you should have thought about whether he really loves you before you moved.
    Has he told you he loves you, is there any reason you doubt it, other than he is not like you?

Oct 17, 2013, 03:11 PM
    He has told me he loved me. On his own. I didn't have to say it first... but the differences are my main concerns. Im a country girl to the core. I work in a factory and love the farm work. He works in an office on a computer... I worry Im not hi type. Ive been lied before. The moving doesn't make a huge difference because my brother works in the area and stays frequently.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Divide a page in half vertically and write down your and his strengths on one side and weaknesses on the other. For instance, my husband hates paying the bills, so I do that. I hate grocery shopping, so he does that. He plants the garden and leaves. I'm the one who happily weeds and waters. He returns for the harvest. See what I mean? How do the two of you overlap, and whose strength is the other's weakness (and vice versa)?

Communicating is everything.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 05:31 PM
    I think the problem is you feeling you don't measure up.
    Have you voiced these concerns with him?
    How old are the two of you?

Oct 17, 2013, 05:47 PM
    ]
    I'm 23. He's 29. He's told me I need to quit being so insecure. We've not actually discussed it
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilliams1990 View Post
    ]
    I'm 23. He's 29. He's told me I need to quit being so insecure. We've not actually discussed it
    Why does he think you are insecure?

Oct 17, 2013, 05:57 PM
    I left a seven year and very controlling and mentally abusive relationship. And I'm... Recovering. Its been over a year. He's my first relationship since and I'm self conscious.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 12:42 PM
    First of all, kudos to you for leaving your past relationship. It does take a lot of strength to move past it. But you've already taken many steps forward, but there are still more to come.

Be patient with yourself. One year is not a long time to help you recover from such a long term relationship. Furthermore, there may be parts of the past relationship that will stick with you for a long time. So I recommend a few things going forward.

1) Be more patient with yourself. It is going to take time to gain strength.

2) Acceptance. Accept that the past is the past. The new boyfriend is a completely different person. Accept that you need more time to recover from the past.

3) You can't rush the recovery. It will take as long as it takes. One way to help yourself speed up the recover is to continue to focus on being a good person. Be a good person to yourself and those around you. The more good you spread, the better you will feel about yourself.

4) If you want, you can read some self-help books to help boost your self-esteem. Or maybe you want to do some volunteering. Maybe it is picking up a sport. Work on your cooking skills. Whatever it is, I suggest you find something positive that will help you boost your confidence.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilliams1990 View Post
    I left a seven year and very controlling and mentally abusive relationship. And I'm... Recovering. Its been over a year. He's my first relationship since and I'm self conscious.
    Well that's the thing. Perhaps you are not quite ready for a relationship. It takes a while.
    Relax and enjoy this one. Get to know each other. Don't over think. Just take your time, one day at a time.

Oct 28, 2013, 05:12 PM
    Thank you. Your input really helps me out. Im trying to resolve some of my "issues".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Love sick? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my problem is very long winded but here goes... I was with my ex for 3 years from 15-18. We split which I was heartbroken but life goes on. Well it would if I wasn't still in love with him! It’s been 4 years since we split and I have either spoken to him, seen him or been drawn back in by...

Love Sick [ 5 Answers ]

I am 13 and I am in love (I think) with a freshman. I am the nerd and crazy girl of the ISD and I dream of this guy. I am carefree and totally ugly... I do have friends but, I am not sure if they REALLY are friends. This guy is super cute; he is a Eagle Scout; he is a musician and he sings...

Am I Becoming Love Sick? [ 8 Answers ]

Lately I have noticed different things that have changed with me.Yea I have been tryn to focuse on me and forget about the ex but is the thought of him hidn in my mind? Well I don't know you be tha judge because my eatn habits have changed(I have been forgetn to eat).And now I can't sleep good this...

Love sick and contageous [ 18 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I were together 2 and a half years and I thought everything was great. I was a bit controlling though and he hardly ever hung out with his friends, but he rarley asked to do any of these things either, I just wanted yto be with him all of the time. We had some GREAT times and also...

Help love sick [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 17 and I really like this guy I was just about to ask him out and this girl pushes me out of the way and asked him out he said yes should I tell him how I feel HELP??

View more questions Search