Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Determined21 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2013, 02:09 PM
    I have a felony cocaine charge
    I want to go to school and be successful in life. I'm going to ask a community college representative for advice on how I can do anything that makes at least 40,000 a year. If I get the degree will jobs really even hire me? Regardless of my degree, is it possible?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 02:11 PM
    Why the felony? For what?

Oct 17, 2013, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why the felony? For what?
    It was for using the drug its not like I was distributing it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 02:32 PM
    What you are going to have to do is ask the c.c. rep if the school has a career office (most do), and how helpful are they in placing grads of the various programs. Some community colleges knock themselves out and others barely try.

Using drugs can lead to theft, plus there's the whole drug use problem, so I'm not sure which companies/organizations will be eager to hire you. And from my own experience with friends and family, a community college grad doesn't just walk into a $40K a year job, especially not in this economy.

Would you be interested in started in starting a business? Then you'd be your own boss and have no one to answer to.

Oct 17, 2013, 04:17 PM
    Yes I do want to have my own business. I want to have my own plumbing business or get my own mechanic shop. The thing is in Virginia I do not think you can own a business if you are a felon. I'm not like a chronic drug addict I'm a 21 year old father of 1 who has made a mistake and have been convicted of this felony today. I have no clue how to start my own business, but I am extremely eager to learn how to do that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2013, 04:21 PM
    Then, check with the state to find out if that is true, that a felon cannot own his own business.

Is it possible to move to a different state eventually?

Oct 17, 2013, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Then, check with the state to find out if that is true, that a felon cannot own his own business.

Is it possible to move to a different state eventually?
    I will find out, and it wouldn't be possible to move if I'm on probation right now and I wouldn't have a job in that state. I will find out what I can do though thank you for your help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 03:31 AM
    You can own your own business and be a felon, but even if that state did not allow, you just move. Guess what to be successful in life, you often have to move, or adjust your life.

Next the issue with some business, like plumbing is that they require often several license, and those license may be restricted.

Oct 18, 2013, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You can own your own business and be a felon, but even if that state did not allow, you just move. Guess what to be successful in life, you often have to move, or adjust your life.

Next the issue with some business, like plumbing is that they require often several license, and those license may be restricted.
    How would it be restricted what do you mean?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Determined21 View Post
    How would it be restricted what do you mean?
    Illinois Plumbing License Requirements

Those individuals seeking a plumbing license with the Department must fill out a plumbing license application 30 days before the exam date and pay the required fee of $100 for in-state applicants or $125 for Chicago and out-of-state applicants. Applicants must be U.S. citizens (or in the process of declaring citizenship), and have been employed as a licensed apprentice plumber for at least four years. Successful completion of at least two years of high school or equivalent is required, in addition to an approved course instruction through a college/university/trade school. If a plumbing exam retake is required, applicants must complete the retake examination form and submit the $100 fee to the Department.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son got a felony charge when he was sixteen and now he hole a second felony charge [ 1 Answers ]

With a gun charge. Does charge carry from your youth year in to uour adult life

Felony charge [ 11 Answers ]

Can a felon charge with a class c felony move in government housing ?

Possible Felony Charge? [ 2 Answers ]

OK, I was drinking with some friends and we went mudd ridin in our trucks. We met up at our high school football field and one of them dared me to go do doughnuts on it. Well I did and I tore it completely up. The cops came to my house later that night, they did not give me a DUI or arrest me and...

Felony Charge [ 5 Answers ]

My son (22 years old) just got a felony violation. He has never been in trouble before and the violation was for having brass knuckles in his vehicle. For some reason California looks at this the same as if he would have had a sawed off shotgun in his vehicle. How serious is this charge? Could he...

Felony Charge [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get info on hispanic male for a felony charge in 2001

View more questions Search