Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 18, 2013, 05:57 AM
    I did enjoy 'The origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind.'
    I know it is considered poor scientifically, and parts of it make me cringe, but it does have some good ideas in it about human consciousness.
    (For anyone seeing that title, don't be intimidated - it's easy to read.)
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 19, 2013, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I did enjoy 'The origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind.'
    I know it is considered poor scientifically, and parts of it make me cringe, but it does have some good ideas in it about human consciousness.
    (For anyone seeing that title, don't be intimidated - it's easy to read.)

Sorry about the poor quality of my previous post. It was done in a rush as I had to leave. When I read it again it hardly seems worthwhile finishing.

Yes, an interesting book. I did read it a while back.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 19, 2013, 05:22 AM
    POOR? Not at all! I am so sorry I didn't address all that you put into it. I thought about it a lot. I thought about it as I watched a video of a dog that swims out every day to play with a dolphin, who seems to be there waiting for him. I thought about human consciousness and animal consciousness, and what it means, how it can possibly be defined.
    I thought about a story I heard about an interview with one of the last natives to this country who hadn't been acclimated to the white man. He was asked to talk about his life, who he was. He couldn't. He described the creation of the world and the creation of man and finally described his tribe, and that's as far as he could go.
    Talk about a simpler time, when we didn't even have a self!
    Simpler in that way anyway. Such a struggle to survive that sitting around 'thinking' about things that didn't relate directly to survival probably meant an even earlier death that was already very short.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2013, 07:16 AM
    joypulv (and others), you might fight this author interesting. He writes about the consciousness and emotional lives of animals --

Jeffrey Masson - Bestselling Author of Books About the Emotional Lives of Animals, Veganism and Anti-Psychiatry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why would male cats try to mate with a female cat that has been fixed? [ 4 Answers ]

A few months ago we took a stray cat that showed up at our house to the vet to get her fixed so she can't get pregnant. Now that it is mating season male cats outside will not leave her alone. They bite her neck and try to mate with her. Is this normal? If so, why are they doing this since she...

Can my pregnant cat nurse my other cats kitten? [ 0 Answers ]

My pregnant cat is letting the kitten nurse But I need to know if she is getting milk

Cat-meeting-puppy advice? Should I keep my cats in... [ 1 Answers ]

I am bringing a new puppy into my house with two cats. Should I not let them out while puppy is in.

I have two cats one just had kittens, will my other cat hurt the new babies [ 4 Answers ]

I have two cats, one of my cats just had babies, will the other cat try to hurt them. Should I keep my other cat away

Can a pregnant cat nurse another cats kittens? [ 1 Answers ]

My cat had kittens and I think she abounded them. I have another cat that is pregnant. She hears them in the house, so she sits down by the door wanting in. I don't know if I could put in with them. I don't know is can nurse them.

View more questions Search