Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Craig Carr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Crack in wall
    Hi, I need some advice asap please, as I don't know what to do about this situation. I was at my my moms house the other day and for the first time in about 5 years I opened the door to my old bedroom and as I walked in I noticed a small crack above the wardrobe (top of the wall) and as I took a closer look and moved the wardrobe I noticed a large crack about 5 ft long running all the way down the wall as I looked closely I could actually see through to the outside world! The crack is approx 10mm wide, I went outside and looked at the exterior wall and I noticed the extension is coming away from the top and gap is about 1 " wide and runs about 6-7ft down the side of the joining extension. I have got photos that I can send to you as it would make it more easier for you to understand the problem. What I am worried about is that I renewed my moms buildings insurance in May and I declared that the building was in stable condition, obviously we couldn't see the crack in the wall as it was behind the wardrobe and the crack could have been there for months or years we just don't know! Can I just say that the ceiling is a low ceiling and literally the height of the wardrobe so was merely noticeable. Obviously we would like to go through the insurance, but will they cover us? What do I do next? Any help would be most appreciated has my mom lives on her own and she is now terrified that her whole house is going to fall down! The extension was built in about 1980 and my dads passed away and the person who built the extension as also passed away, so I can't even question anybody about it. I have however found the planning permission for the extension. Many thanks in advance Craig.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2013, 09:16 AM
    This is more of a construction issue rather than insurance. Insurance will not cover, not an accidental occurrence. Looks like extension was not properly tied to the main building or the extension foundation has settled. Need to have a contractor look at it. Possibly do more underpinning and wall tying. 10 mm(3/8") in 33 years is quite a gap but since you have not been in the room for 5 years, we don't know if it has been there that long or recently occurred. I would put some backer rod and caulk and a piece of trim on the outside, retape and mud the inside. It won't collapse, tell mom to sleep well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What causes the crack on the basement wall after reconstruction? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My house is being rebuilt after the fire. The engineer suggest save the main floor joists, however the builder removed them in February and make the basement open up to the severe winter and heavy snow. In late April, after the builder finishing framing, I found there were full of snow and ice...

Basement wall crack [ 2 Answers ]

We have a crack in the basement wall at the gas meter location. And water is getting through to the laundry room. I called a contractor he priced the repairs for 1200$ just for the one crack and said epoxy is no longer used. Can you let me know what needs to be done and if 1200$ is the right...

Crack in basement wall [ 4 Answers ]

I have a crack in my basement wall and water is visible leaking through from the outside. I want to know the proper procedure to fix this myself. What type of sealant do you recommend. I do believe you have to v out the crack before you plug it. Is this correct.

Crack in wall [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 40 year old modular home and I seem to have reacurring cracks forming underneath them. What is going on and how can I fix this problem?

Crack in wall sheetrock [ 5 Answers ]

We have a conventional foundation in a house built in 2001. There is now a 12-18 inch crack in the sheetrock ( very small, not deep) that goes from the top of a window sill at a 90 degree angle toward the ceiling. The outside of the house shows no cracks. Should I be concerned? Thanks a bunch for...

View more questions Search