Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryetman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2013, 07:32 AM
    Laundry tub faucet question
    My laundry tub attached to the faucet is a tube which leads down to a drain in the basement floor. We have hot water constantly dripping into this tube then to the drain. Why is that tube there. We are just wasting hot water.
    Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 15, 2013, 09:08 AM
    I suspect that what you have there is a TRAP PRIMER of sorts. Here, your floor drain needs to remain "wetted" at all times to keep it from drying out which would allow sewer gasses to enter your home. A picture would help to confirm this... ;)

They also make a "waterless" trap primer... perhaps that would be more to your liking! Check it out @ Home: SureSeal Waterless Floor Drain Trap Sealer

Back to you...

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2013, 11:58 AM
    If it is a trap primer, switch the supply to the cold water side. An alternative, although not necessarily code, would be to turn the water off and make sure to keep water in the trap. A photo would help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Build a laundry lint filter (laundry tub version) [ 1 Answers ]

The Posting question method needs help. When you select advanced posting options, your original text gets clobbered. Also, if your not logged in and post a question, your composed response gets clobbered. Some background: The laundry sink backed up and the clog was rather nasty. The washer...

Small tube connected to the faucet of laundry tub runs? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, from what I have read I realize the small tube running from my laundry sink faucet must be there. However my seems to run through the hose constantly! Should this be happening? I'm concerned that it's costing me extra money considering it's hot water running through it.

Install wall mount faucet over old laundry tub [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, First - thanks for running such a great service. It has been very helpful! I have one question for which I've not been able to find an answer here. Our house has an original laundry tub and wall-mount faucet in the basement laundry room. It is a "Cuthbert" compression faucet with 8...

Replacing a faucet on a laundry tub. [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the faucet on my laundry tub and am having trouble figuring out how to get to the plumbing as it is inside the bracket that holds the tub to the wall. There are three screws holding on the tub one on top and one on each side. However, there is a bolt holding on the screws on the...

Laundry Tub Venting [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Wichita, KS, and have a basement with laundry room facilities in it. With that, venting is critical. The short part of my question is: I want to move my washer to the right about four to five feet, which means relocating the drain and venting pipes. One problem is that the pipes cross...

View more questions Search