Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 07:48 PM
    Guinea pig
    Hello all!

I just added a new addition to our household. A baby guinea pig.

Any suggestions on how to make her feel at ease?

Thank you!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 08:44 PM
    Hey Enigma.

I didn't want to respond on your fb page because I didn't agree with some of the posts there, and I didn't want to start a "but I know what I'm talking about, so shut up" war. Been there done that on other peoples pages. Not fun.

First, never put a blanket over it's cage. That will just scare the guinea pig.

Right now he's adjusting to your home. They are naturally skittish animals, but they can be trained, and can be tamed. That's something for a bit later though. Right now Guinea has to settle in.

If you can put his cage in a separate room, that's best. The more traffic, the more interruptions, the more afraid he'll become. He needs to settle in, which means peace and quiet.

After a few days, start entering the room. Bring a treat. Put the treat in the cage, and then leave.

Then, after another few days, put the treat in the cage on your hand, and leave it in your hand. See what he does. Patience. Let him come to you. If after 10-15 minutes he makes no move towards you, try again later that day. If after a few days he still doesn't approach you, then place your hand in, with the treat. If he doesn't come for the treat, he doesn't get it. Sooner or later the want for the treat will outweigh his fear. :)

It's slow and steady, baby steps. They can be wonderful pets if properly tamed. Some are more skittish by nature, but even the most skittish I've ever had, I could hold, and pet, and play with. Just remember that this is a prey animal. In the wild it's a source of food for others. That instinct is still there, even though he was born and sold as a pet. So slowly, let him get used to you, let him realize that you're not going to hurt him. Never ever grab him from above, always put your hands at eye level so he can see you.

You can buy a litter box that will fit in his cage, it's in the shape of a triangle. Study him. He'll likely pick a favorite corner to potty in. So place the litter box (you can fill it with cat litter) in the corned he's using. Put a few pieces of his poop in the box. They're actually very easy to litter train if you start when they're young.

What are you feeding him? Is it a him? I've been calling it a him, and I'm not even sure if it is a him. What's his/her name? :)

Oh fudge, I just re-read your post. Her! It's a her! Geesh! Sorry, I normally have males, so I always call every animal a hm. My bad.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 08:50 PM
    That's some good advice already.

I had a guinea pig that lived for over 7 years. Very skittish but a wonderful little pet she was. It took her a while to get used to me but when she did, all was fine and I could handle her without any problems.

One thing to watch for and prepare yourself for... I don't know if they all do this but... Mine liked to nibble at my fingers. Actually, it was more than a nibble because of those crazy teeth... I suppose she thought I had a carrot or something and would bite. It wasn't vicious but it did hurt now and then. The first few times surprised me and I jerked my hand away and this caused a negative reaction. I learned to expect it and keep my fingers in such a way that she couldn't easily bite them to check and see if they were carrots... just be ready in case yours does a taste test also.
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    That's some good advice already.

I had a guinea pig that lived for over 7 years. Very skittish but a wonderful little pet she was. It took her a while to get used to me but when she did, all was fine and I could handle her without any problems.

One thing to watch for and prepare yourself for... I don't know if they all do this but... Mine liked to nibble at my fingers. Actually, it was more than a nibble because of those crazy teeth... I suppose she thought I had a carrot or something and would bite. It wasn't vicious but it did hurt now and then. The first few times surprised me and I jerked my hand away and this caused a negative reaction. I learned to expect it and keep my fingers in such a way that she couldn't easily bite them to check and see if they were carrots... just be ready in case yours does a taste test also.
    Thank you for posting this. It reminded me of something I forgot. Guinea pigs teeth grow throughout their lives. They need something to wear down their teeth. That can be done through diet, but a chew stone is the best (you can buy them at Walmart where I live, you can even get the two pack chew stone and salt lick, which is also necessary). Not all guineas go for it though. So make sure to provide toys that will wear down her teeth.

Whenever I handled my piggies I'd give them a treat first. They'd chew on the treat while I picked them up. That lessened the chance of getting nibbled.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 15, 2013, 05:27 PM
    Thank you guys very much! She (Mrs. Cuddles) is doing just fine.

Alty, I know who you referring to on my Facebook page. LOL I too, did not agree with what she said, but I didn't want to be rude about it. :)
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2013, 05:38 PM
    LOL! That's why I asked you to start a thread here. :)

You do know I'll want pictures of Mrs. Cuddles. So start snapping, and bring them on!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guinea pig!! [ 12 Answers ]

I took in a Guinea pig that was not being well taken care of. I don't really know much about this animal though. I researched the care of the little guy (food bedding & things) but he/she doesn't seem very happy. Ive had him for about a month and try to handle him as much as possible to get him...

Guinea pig help [ 0 Answers ]

My guinea pig had a litter of 3 but sadly one was a still born and was dead before it was even born. They are both 2 days old coming close to three. One isn't feeding, has watery eyes, and looks quite tired. We decided to feed the weak baby evaporated milk with lukewarm water, fed with a...

New Guinea Pig [ 9 Answers ]

Hey everyone. So aylas special buy from our tax return was a pet guinea pig. She wanted a kitten but we can't have pets except caged animals, and I didn't want a bunny so she picked a guinea pig. We got him on Friday, he is healthy and clean. But he is still simply hiding under his...

Guinea Pig [ 5 Answers ]

My guinea pig is always pooing( seriously) if I want to hold him I have to have a paper towel on my lap. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guinea Pig [ 3 Answers ]

Yeh I had 2 male guinea pigs and 1 died they were just over 1 and I'm not sure what to do because I no the other 1 s v.lonely someone said I should have it put down I'm not sure if I buy a new one would they fight?

View more questions Search