Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ane211 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Spa heating element
    I have a Bullfrog Tadpole spa. I drained and cleaned 2 days ago. It was seemingly working okay prior to draining and cleaning. Refilled yesterday but is no longer heating the water. Single 240v pump operates correctly in circulatory and hi-speed. There are no error codes on the control pad. It is set to standard mode at 104 degrees. The temp light is on. The heater was replaced this past January. Not sure where to go next with this? When the heater went bad before it tripped the GFCI and would not turn on. HELP!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 05:27 PM
    Hi Ane211

Have you confirmed power coming out of the GFCI outlet? If not, I would start there. Report back with result, OK?

Mark
    ane211 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2013, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Ane211

Have you confirmed power coming out of the GFCI outlet? If not, I would start there. Report back with result, OK?

Mark
    Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply. Everything is operating properly on the tub with the exception of it not heating the water. I do have 240v to the circuit board. The manufacturer troubleshooting flow chart using all of the information listed in the original post, points me to checking the voltage at the heater. I am pretty sure I should have 240v by placing my leads from my multimeter on each terminating post, and I do not. Which I think will entail me replacing the circuit board. I guess I am hoping someone with familiarity with this brand will tell me I am missing something.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Oct 15, 2013, 04:03 PM
    Typically the heater light being on indicates the element is getting power... however in your case it's not (assuming you're testing it correctly). While the circuit board is a likely cause, there's a number of other things it could be. I'd suggest getting a QUALIFIED service tech to trouble shoot it. While you might balk at the cost, it will be FAR cheaper, than replacing the circuit board, only to find that's not the problem.
    SpaParts Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Apr 13, 2014, 09:53 AM
    Spa heater is a vulnerable component, due to the contact of the spa heating element with the spa water which can be corrosive. Some other types of heater don't allow the water to physically contact with the heating element by wrapping around the heating element with stainless-steel tube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cal Spa not heating [ 27 Answers ]

Hi I have a Cal Spa. I do not know the model though, but we have had it since 1999. Recently the hot tub has not been heating up. The pump will run, but the heater will not turn on. The heating light on the digital screen is not on even though I adjust the temperature. I have been looking up...

Is there a way to test the heating element on a cal spa model PS-5-B hot tub [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to test the heating element on a 1995 Cal Spa model# PS-5-B? I talked to someone at Spa Parts Warehouse (recommended by tech support at Cal Spas as that they don't support the older models) he said it is a 4.5 KW flow through heater element. I'm not sure if I need just the...

Dryer not heating. Thermostats and heating element OK.what else to check? [ 5 Answers ]

I had a heating problem. Replaced broken coil. Checked all thermostats.everything has continuity. All was working fine. But today dryer stopped heating again. All still check OK for continuity. What else to check?

Spa not heating up [ 4 Answers ]

How you guys doing? Im having troubles with my jacuzzi spa. Its turning on. I hear the motor on but it doesn't get hot. Do I change out the motor? Heating element? How can I check if any isgood? Thanks guys

View more questions Search