Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Oct 14, 2013, 03:36 PM
    Choosing a Plan
    I would like to get a smartphone as a Christmas gift for someone I know, and I was wondering if you have to get a plan when you buy the phone, or can I let the person I give it too choose one because I don't know much about different plans. I would like to get a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I know that it wouldn't be used for talking much, mainly for internet, music, movies/tv shows and taking pictures. The main providers in Canada are Bell, Rogers and Telus.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 05:37 PM
    If they arent going to use it for talking much then why not consider a tablet and you can get a wireless plan for it later. Most of the time if you buy a phone from a provider your stuck using that provider. As for talking on it they can use applications like skype.

Oct 14, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Thanks, it sure is hard to choose when there are so many different types of devices and plans.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 05:56 PM
    It can be overwhelming. Also many (atleast in the U.S.) give you a discount on the phone but you have to buy into a 2 year contract. Be careful and read the fine print.

Oct 14, 2013, 06:50 PM
    You said that a tablet would be a better choice for videos and for not talking much. Can you get one without getting a plan right away? The Samsung galaxy tab 3 8.0 looks like a very good choice.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    You said that a tablet would be a better choice for videos and for not talking much. Can you get one without getting a plan right away? The Samsung galaxy tab 3 8.0 looks like a very good choice.
    Sure you can get one free and clear and buy into any plan you like including a pay as you go plan. That part is totally up to you and you can buy it at most any big box store.

Oct 14, 2013, 07:01 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate your advice, it was very helpful, I'm going to go with a tablet.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 07:02 PM
    Ok but let me warn you now. They have so many on the market your choices are endless :)

Good Luck and your very welcome glad I could help.

Oct 15, 2013, 03:44 PM
    I decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. It got very good reviews and most people who have one seem to like it a lot so I think I made the right choice.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
    I have both a Kindle Fire and an iPad mini. Don't need a plan as long as there is wifi available. I love them both! iPad mini has a bit better resolution than the Kindle though.
    zax454 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2014, 06:26 AM
    Maybe you can try older Iphone or Nexus. Here you can check parametrs - Comperio.co - the most useful comparison site Iphones have good operating system wich is very stable. Also apple store have may good applications. If you looking for phone to pictures and talking you can check older Galaxy S3 who is only little worst than S4.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a data plan (through verizon) but no texting (SMS/MMS) plan. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a data plan (through verizon) but no texting (SMS/MMS) plan. Since I don't have a texting (SMS/MMS) plan, will I get charged to my bill if I send snaps through snapchat?

Plan to move oversea, best plan of attack? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 33 and plan to move to Hong Kong next March, most likely permanently. I have about $40K in Roth and $170K in 401K, live in MA, also own an apartment that I want to sell but that can wait, valued at about $200K. What's the best plan to withdraw these fund with the least amount of penalty?...

Name choosing [ 3 Answers ]

I need boys names and girls that would suit a last name Wilkie

View more questions Search