Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsascorpio Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Can retired military be prosecuted for a fradulent marriage?
    Military compensates with money for having a spouse and children. If the marriage was a shame and just to receive the extra money would the military go after the military person?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
    I doubt it. The marriage was created in the private civilian sector and would have no bearing on a marriage that did not work out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2013, 10:28 AM
    I disagree. If it can be shown that the marriage was a fraud to get extra money from the government they can certainly prosecute. Whether they will or not depends on how much they were defrauded of and whether restitution is made.

Oct 14, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Thank you both! Yes Scott your answer helped :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 10:44 AM
    I'm curious as to what you mean by "fraudulent marriage." A legal marriage is one that has a marriage certificate - I'm not aware of any other requirements. Are you suggesting that fraud was involved in obtaining the marriage license (for example bigamy was involved, or perhaps the person was under-age)? Or are you suggesting that there is no marriage license and the person lied about his marital status to the military? If the latter - I would have to wonder whether the couple filed joint income tax returns, and if so that means both parties are guilty of tax fraud.

Oct 14, 2013, 10:53 AM
    No there was absolutely no fraud involved obtaining the marriage certificate. Only emails and hear say as to why they got married. Sorry new at this!
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 11:12 AM
    The government will prosecute marriage fraud when it relates to immigration issues - i.e obtaining a green card for a person under a sham marriage. But I am not aware of similar prosecutions for US citizens - even if the couple never lived together. There have been some famous marriages of convenience - such as Rock Hudson's marriage to Phyllis Gates to avoid exposure as a homosexual. Again, having a marriage license is all that's required to be legal.

Oct 14, 2013, 11:12 AM
    Thank you ebaines, great points. Do you happen to know of a good lawyer in Washington State or is that another question I have to ask this site?
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 11:18 AM
    Lawyer for what? If you are interested in seeing whether the military will prosecute someone for marriage fraud you can call the JAG office at the military base and ask about it.

Oct 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
    Gosh I'm sorry again, I need to be more clear with my questions! TY
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tsascorpio View Post
    No there was absolutely no fraud involved obtaining the marriage certificate. Only emails and hear say as to why they got married. Sorry new at this!
    The reason why they married is immaterial. The question is whether they were married. If so, there is no fraud involved. Even if it can be proven that the only reason was to qualify for military marital benefits, I don't think there would be a problem.

Oct 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
    I still have to disagree. If it can be proven that the only reason a marriage ceremony (a license is not enough) was performed was to get government benefits and further that the couple never lived as husband and wife, then a fraud has occurred.

Whether the govt will elect to prosecute depends on how good a case they can mount.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Everyone, please read all of OP's other posts. They lived together. They are both arguing here on this site about money. Her ex or soon to be ex posted first. I think this hope that the marriage could be a sham in the eyes of the military has no chance.

Oct 14, 2013, 02:28 PM
    I'm not sure the OP is referring to themselves. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't give a proper answer.

Oct 14, 2013, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm not sure the OP is referring to themselves. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't give a proper answer.
    Thank you ScottGem I agree!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
    I know of a man who married a woman for the sole purpose of increasing duty pay. They shared the additional pay 50/50. When he broke up with his real romantic partner... With whom he had a child during the "marriage", she reported the scam. He was court marshaled, fined and dishonorably discharged. The wife was also charged with fraud.
    current pert

Oct 14, 2013, 04:16 PM
    OP is looking for a lawyer around her area. I'm just concerned that she is going to shell out money for a case that has very little chance. She isn't telling us much of anything, possibly because her husband is here watching.
    It wouldn't hurt to run it by a lawyer in an initial free consultation. But don't get taken by an unethical lawyer who just wants the fee.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 04:25 PM
    Are they legally married, got a marriage license, filed it. Then they are married, people get married for many reasons, the fact they do not live together does not matter, if they are legally married.

I see nothing that requires them to marry for love. To marry to receive more money is just a reason to get married. Not really a fraud. People marry for tax deductions toward end of the year. Marry so one does not have to testify against the other in court.

Oct 14, 2013, 04:42 PM
    I have a lawyer! Is there a problem with asking questions to see what answers are given?
    current pert

Oct 14, 2013, 05:11 PM
    Not at all. But it's all just hypothetical unless you tell us the story

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual retired military divorce? [ 0 Answers ]

How does it work when to retired dual military divorces? We had a daughter in 1991. We got married in 1993. Had a son in 1994. Bought a house in Maryland in 1996. Separated in 2002. I started paying child support. She retired in 2004 had no where to go, so I let her move back in. Took her name off...

Retired military [ 2 Answers ]

My husband receives retired military pay. He will soon qualify for Social Security. Will we lose all or any of his military pay or social security to offset the other pay?

Retired Military Pay [ 2 Answers ]

What is the time frame (in years) for filing an appeal in order to attach retired military pay that is due an ex-spouse?

Retired from Military [ 0 Answers ]

I served for over 25 years in the Military.I went blind to one eye and could not perform my job as a recruiter so the military decided not to retain me any longer.I was told to retire.Can I still collect unemeployment benefits? Thank you

Can they take retired military pay? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a credit card in his name only. Due to the fact he has been unemployed for almost 1 1/2 yrs we are not able to pay on it right now. Can they take his military retirement pay OR his unemployment ? We tried to make arrangements with Chase but they say we aren't offering them enough...

View more questions Search