Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shmeggerz1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2013, 08:50 AM
    What if you don't believe all the beliefs of your religion?
    If you a member of a religion but don't believe some of the things people in that religion are ''supposed'' to believe in.. are you still really part of that religion? Or are you sinful ? Or is it blasphemy or something? O.o
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 09:02 AM
    I just finished a terrific book titled The Wisdom Jesus : transforming heart and mind : a new perspective on Christ and his message by Cynthia Bourgeault, an Episcopalian priest. Here's a snippet from the book --

A lot of Christians believe "orthodox" means right belief. It's all about catechisms and creeds, believing the right things about Jesus, believing the way the church teaches you to believe. And yes, the word does etymologically derive from the Greek "ortho" (right) and "dokeo" (to think) -- or in other words, it means "right thinking."

But intuitively, I prefer to derive the "dox" part from the word "doxa" which means "glory" (as in "Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, known as the doxology). Orthodox would then mean "right glory" (or "right praise") and while this may then be, well, "unorthodox, it does come a lot closer to conveying the spiritual ambience of most of non-Roman Christianity. Particularly for the Near East Christians, there was a strong sense that belief was not something that should be pinned down too tightly, like angels dancing on the head of a pin.

People come from all different backgrounds and all different levels of spiritual maturity, and belief will fluctuate accordingly. But what should properly hold the body of Christ together is "right praise," the ability to transcend all these differing viewpoints and in one voice (though maybe varied harmonies) offer glory and thanksgiving to the Master whose life transforms the human heart.

So, in answer to your question, no. In fact, if you asked each person in your church a bunch of questions about what they believe, you will probably not find two people who totally agree.

Our pastor one Sunday morning had the ushers pass out 3x5 cards to everyone. The pastor then asked us to write down why God was going to let us into His Heaven when we die. The responses were collected and read out loud. What people wrote down was amazingly unbiblical. The most popular answer was "Because I am a good person and deserve to go to Heaven."
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2013, 09:02 AM
    It depends on the religion. Different ones have different approaches to problems like yours. We'll need more information about the denomination, what specific beliefs are giving you trouble, and if you don't believe it, why does that bother you so badly. Fill in some of the gaps and we'll see if we can help.

Oct 14, 2013, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    It depends on the religion. Different ones have different approaches to problems like yours. We'll need more information about the denomination, what specific beliefs are giving you trouble, and if you don't believe it, why does that bother you so badly. Fill in some of the gaps and we'll see if we can help.
    Well I'm a catholic and there are things talked about in religion class, mass etc that stories like how Adam and Eve were there when the world was first created and how they ate apples- which led to original sin.. but I think that God let humans evolve and that they are just stories to teach lessons and things and that they aren't meant to be factual.. and I just didn't know if it is wrong in the catholic religion to think what I'm saying.. If that makes sense.. I'm kind of trying to understand my religion/beliefs etc.. thanks:)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 09:41 AM
    May I ask how old you are?

Oct 14, 2013, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wondergirl View Post
    may i ask how old you are?
    16 :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 09:50 AM
    My father was a Lutheran pastor, so I grew up in a very conservative home. All the stories in the Bible were considered to be true, and a believer should never question anything.

Now I'm older than dirt and believe that the main lesson the Bible teaches us is about love. All the stories in the Bible are about God's love for His Creation, His children. People have problems and don't always do good things, but God forgives them and loves them anyway. And Jesus told us to have that same kind of love for each other -- to be kind to each other and be willing to forgive.

Are all the stories in the Bible true? I don't know, but that message of God's love and forgiveness is the most important thing to remember and to apply to your own life. (Plus, having learned all the Bible stories, I am a Bible trivia expert -- "Who was Seth?" and "Name Jacob's two wives" and "What was Luke's profession?" and "Who sat under a fig tree?")
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2013, 11:40 AM
    With Catholic, it's hard to say what might or might not set them off. A lot depends on your own parish priest and how rigid he is about things like the literal Adam and Eve and all that. As far as I know, nobody has been accused of outright blasphemy for not believing it, but don't quote me on that because the emphasis there is on "as far as I know."

If you were to switch to a different denomination such as Methodist or Presbyterian, most churches wouldn't have a problem with you asking those questions.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2013, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmeggerz1 View Post
    Well i'm a catholic and there are things talked about in religion class, mass etc that stories like how Adam and Eve were there when the world was first created and how they ate apples- which led to original sin..but i think that God let humans evolve and that they are just stories to teach lessons and things and that they aren't meant to be factual..and I just didn't know if it is wrong in the catholic religion to think what i'm saying..? If that makes sense..i'm kind of trying to understand my religion/beliefs etc..thanks:)
    Have you tried asking your questions in that religion class you are attending?

No it is not wrong in the Catholic religion to think what you're thinking. Catholicism has no objecftion to evolution and has long held that the Bible stories are not always literal. Anti-evolution and literalism is generally found among sections of Protestantism.

What level class are you in? Naturally, beginners are taught somewhat differently than more advanced students. That's true of religion and a host of other subjects.

Oct 15, 2013, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Have you tried asking your questions in that religion class you are attending?

No it is not wrong in the Catholic religion to think what you're thinking. Catholicism has no objecftion to evolution and has long held that the Bible stories are not always literal. Anti-evolution and literalism is generally found among sections of Protestantism.

What level class are you in? Naturally, beginners are taught somewhat differently than more advanced students. That's true of religion and a host of other subjects.
    I suppose I am a beginner-ish can you be too young to try and figure out things like this.. or is it just natural ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2013, 05:00 PM
    I suppose I am a beginner-ish can you be too young to try and figure out things like this.. or is it just natural ?
    It's natural. When we are young, we learn the basics of our religion and, like the Bible says, drink the "milk" -- take in and learn the easy-to-digest stuff. As we get older, we start eating the "meat" -- the more grown-up stuff and begin to digest them (understand them) in ways we didn't when we were still drinking the "milk."

I'm guessing this is true in most religions.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    It's natural. When we are young, we learn the basics of our religion and, like the Bible says, drink the "milk" -- take in and learn the easy-to-digest stuff. As we get older, we start eating the "meat" -- the more grown-up stuff and begin to digest them (understand them) in ways we didn't when we were still drinking the "milk."
    I just talked about this in the latest episode of Bible Insights. See the link in my signature.

</shamelessplug>
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
    Not only is it natural, it's a good sign that you take important things seriously and question things.

Catholicism is an ancient religion (the first Christian religion) and it has a long tradition of examining things in an attempt to find truth. Some of the best minds of the last 2,000 years have wrestled with these issues that you find yourself thinking about today.

Let your conscience be your guide and you can't go wrong. Be wary of those who have all the answers. They probably don't.

God bless you.

Oct 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
    Thanks for all the great answers everyone^.^
    Riot Posts: 130, Reputation: 29

Oct 19, 2013, 10:38 PM
    Catholicism is an ancient religion (the first Christian religion)
    While not Catholic myself, I've seen this referenced a few times and Im interested as to why Catholics say they were the first 'group' of christians.
    Im not having a go at anyone, I just wish to be enlightened.

Oct 20, 2013, 02:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Riot View Post
    While not Catholic myself, I've seen this referenced a few times and Im interested as to why Catholics say they were the first 'group' of christians.
    I'm not sure but I think it was the original one and then when people didn't agree with it they branched off and made new religions? I'm not sure though..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 06:44 AM
    Google "Timeline of the Christian Church" (without quotes) or similar keywords to find out how the Early Church evolved int the Catholic Church. Here's one article:

Timeline of the Catholic Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Protestant Reformation (the breakaway from the Catholic Church) didn't happen until the 1600s with Martin Luther and others paving the way.

Oct 20, 2013, 04:00 PM
    But what about the early church in Acts? They didn't follow Catholic doctrine but shouldn't they be counted as the first group of christians?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 04:09 PM
    But what about the early church in Acts? They didn't follow Catholic doctrine but shouldn't they be counted as the first group of christians?
    The first Christians in the Early Church (Acts) were Jews. Doctrine hadn't been formally established yet. It was a very loose groups of churches. Catholic ("universal") doctrine came about as time went on and as the Church became more organized. Please read the link I provided earlier to see the timeline.

Oct 21, 2013, 01:09 AM
    Yes I read the link but It kind of lost me after the death of John.

Doctrine hadn't been formally established yet
    But what about the letters Paul wrote? For instance, the book of 1 Corinthians has a very good outline on church doctrine. Why would Paul teach that church to conduct themselves in what he said in that letter if it was going to be changed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are some similar in the newer religion and the older religion [ 2 Answers ]

What are some similar between the newer and older religions?

Gender equality in religion in the islamic religion [ 0 Answers ]

Is there any gender equality in the muslim religion

Don't read if easyily offended and questioning my religion [ 55 Answers ]

I was born a catholic and rased in a catholic schools but I also had a break were I went to some grades in public and I got to a public high school now anyway, I don't want to step on and spit on anybodys religion I'm just wondering cause if I bring this up to my family they will freak I think(the...

I DON'T believe in Religion [ 48 Answers ]

I, as an idividual do not believe in any religion. Sometimes it angers me when people get offended that I do not believe in God, its my personal choice. I just think that religions start a lot of conflict and don't make any sense. Am I wrong to feel this way?

View more questions Search