Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2013, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Riot View Post
    Yes I read the link but It kind of lost me after the death of John.

But what about the letters Paul wrote? For instance, the book of 1 Corinthians has a very good outline on church doctrine. Why would Paul teach that church to conduct themselves in what he said in that letter if it was going to be changed?
    It would help if you could say specifically what you are referring to.
    Riot Posts: 130, Reputation: 29

Oct 22, 2013, 01:30 AM
    Well for instance Paul talks a lot in 1 corinth 14:22- 40 about how spiritual gifts should be conducted correctly in a meeting/service. Making reference that they should be used by a group of christains when they come together and the correct way it should be done.
    So why would Paul tell the church in Corinth to utilise a spiritual gift like prophesy or tounges if doctrine towards that was going to be changed? Wouldn't that make Paul's advice to that church redundant?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2013, 06:57 AM
    WSo why would Paul tell the church in Corinth to utilise a spiritual gift like prophesy or tounges if doctrine towards that was going to be changed? Wouldn't that make Paul's advice to that church redundant?
    How has it been changed?
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Oct 22, 2013, 07:25 AM
    Gifts of the Spirit have not changed.

Oct 22, 2013, 07:30 AM
    But what about the early church in Acts? They didn't follow Catholic doctrine but shouldn't they be counted as the first group of christians?
    That's a great point. Whenever someone claims they belong to the purest and most true aspect of the Christian church I usually say "how do you compare to the first church?" I might also add that the modern Catholic church is one of the denominations furthest from what the first church looked like. I don't mean that to be offensive to anyone and I know many Catholics that absolutely love God.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2013, 08:02 AM
    We have to look at just about anything that comes out of the Corinthian letters through a lens of suspicion. Both letters were written because that particular church just couldn't seem to figure out how to do this stuff right, and they were getting into fights, snubbing poor people, condoning borderline incest and all the rest. Paul had to write to them and rip them a new one because they were such a mess. So everything in 1 Corinthians especially is written specifically to that one church, to address the stupid things they were doing. How much of those writings also extend to other churches, i.e. Us? Ah, there's the big question. But with Corinthians, be aware that it's always a little iffy.

Oct 22, 2013, 04:41 PM
    How has it been changed?
    Well if your saying Catholic doctrine is universal/first group of christians from the early church how come Catholics don't utilise spiritual gifts like this?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2013, 04:43 PM
    Well if your saying Catholic doctrine is universal/first group of christians from the early church how come Catholics don't utilise spiritual gifts like this?
    Like what? They do.

Did you read what dwashbur had said about I Corinthinians and the Corinthian church -- and why Paul had sent them that epistle?

Oct 23, 2013, 04:28 AM
    Like what? They do.
    Roman Catholics don't pray in tounges, have them interpreted or make any prophesys at a mass.

Oct 23, 2013, 04:48 AM
    Actually, believe it or not the Gifts of the Spitit do function in the Catholic church... even tongues. But this is not the norm. The Holy Spirit transcends denominational walls... He is looking for hungry and willing individuals.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2013, 07:21 AM
    Roman Catholics don't pray in tounges, have them interpreted or make any prophesys at a mass.
    What HH said for "regular" Catholic churches, and there are Charismatic Catholic churches too that are more emotional and Pentecostal-ish..

Oh, and there are 12 gifts of the Spirit -- lots more than what you named. The Catholic Church values all of them.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2013, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What HH said for "regular" Catholic churches, and there are Charismatic Catholic churches too that are more emotional and Pentecostal-ish..

Oh, and there are 12 gifts of the Spirit -- lots more than what you named. The Catholic Church values all of them.
    (I tried to give you a greenie - wouldn't let me).

It's always heartening to see a Protestant (Lutheran here) writing the truth about the Catholic Church. So many non-Catholics are misinformed about Catholicism that even a single accurate post may shed some light toward mutual understanding.

Thank you, Wondergirl.
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2013, 04:13 PM
    As far as I'm concerned, the best religion is the one that gives you the most life flexibility. Ones that tell me every little point I have to believe, every little thing I had to do, how I have to dress, how I have to talk, or tell me I have to do X, Y or Z in order to be one of the elite tend to do more harm than good in the long run. That's why I have a bone to pick with most Christian denominations, because if Jesus could see all the legalistic junk that's being done in his name, and forced on people in his name, I suspect he'd say it's time for another temple cleansing and beat the daylights out of all of us.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Here's one for you, Athos. This man was my pastor until I moved too far away, and I still follow him on Facebook because he's constantly putting out amazing stuff like this.

Catholics Aren't Christian | Northwest Leader - Brian Dolleman

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are some similar in the newer religion and the older religion [ 2 Answers ]

What are some similar between the newer and older religions?

Gender equality in religion in the islamic religion [ 0 Answers ]

Is there any gender equality in the muslim religion

Don't read if easyily offended and questioning my religion [ 55 Answers ]

I was born a catholic and rased in a catholic schools but I also had a break were I went to some grades in public and I got to a public high school now anyway, I don't want to step on and spit on anybodys religion I'm just wondering cause if I bring this up to my family they will freak I think(the...

I DON'T believe in Religion [ 48 Answers ]

I, as an idividual do not believe in any religion. Sometimes it angers me when people get offended that I do not believe in God, its my personal choice. I just think that religions start a lot of conflict and don't make any sense. Am I wrong to feel this way?

View more questions Search