Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Oct 14, 2013, 12:48 AM
    Playing Blu Ray DVDs on Desktop
    Hi All,

Is it possible to obtain either software or a DVD Re-writer which will play Blu Ray and/or Blu Ray 3D movies on my desktop PC?

I have tried using the free trial Arscot TotalMedia Theatre but it does not appear to work.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Poseidon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 14, 2013, 12:51 AM
    Nope, you need to replace the physical drive.
    Different coloured lasers are involved.
    While a Blu Ray reads DVD a DVD can't read Blu Rays.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Oct 14, 2013, 01:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Nope, you need to replace the physical drive.
    Different coloured lasers are involved.
    While a Blu Ray reads DVD a DVD can't read Blu Rays.
    Thank you for your reply and the info. I was afraid of this.

I know I am being particularly dim but when you say 'replace the physical drive' what does this mean? Are you referring to the internal hard drive or DVD Re-writer?

If so I have an extra slot in my desktop where I can install another hard drive or DVD Re-writer. If I installed a second HD or DVD RW would this work?

If there are devices available to use internally are there any that can be used externally?

Poseidon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 14, 2013, 02:08 AM
    If you have a spare 5 inch slot then a stand alone Blu ray drive is cheap(ish)
    eBay for example: LiteOn DH-4O3S-04-B 4x Internal SATA Blu-ray ROM Drive - Black | eBay
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 07:01 PM
    Also if your looking to see 3d then you might have to replace your current video card and monitor to get the best effect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Computer vs Blu Ray speed [ 2 Answers ]

I normally stream video from Amazon to my TV via a laptop. HDMI connection from the computer to the TV. Last night I configured my Blu-Ray player to stream from Amazon. The connect speed was significantly better on the BluRay and there was no buffering or pausing. Laptop connect speed: 1.3Mb...

Blu ray electronics [ 1 Answers ]

What is involved in hooking up blu ray dvd players? Is it any different than hooking up a regular dvd unit?

Blu-Ray vs hd-dvd [ 3 Answers ]

Didn't know where to post this, there is nothing under computers and tech for other tech. Does anyone else feel like the hd-dvd commercials during the superbowl and the price drop on the hd-dvd players was one last desperate attempt to get a market share in the high def movie market? I mean...

View more questions Search