Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 11:12 AM
    Help with barking.
    I have two rescued dogs. One from a puppy mill, who has adjusted very well, and one from a home where he had been kept in a cat carrier for the first three years of his life. He was only allowed out to pee and eat.

The little Boston, the puppy mill dog, is picking up some bad habits, and I'm trying to correct the older dog's barking. Only when the older dog (a poodle cross) barks, does the Boston bark.

I have tried two different types of collars on the poodle mix, and recently purchased a citronella spray collar. I've followed the directions very carefully, and so far it is working, I'd say 70% of the time. When I'm not expecting company, I don't have it on him.

Because the other collars have not worked- he just barked right through them- I'm hoping for some additional suggestions that might reinforce the no barking while he's wearing the new spray collar.

If anything, since the addition of the Boston, he is more jumpy and barking more than he ever has, although over the past year, it's not quite as bad. There are also two cats and they all get along together really well.

Any ideas or suggestions that might help?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 11:42 AM
    I have a question does he get reinforced for barking? Do you pay attention to him, even negative attention? Have you tried the rewarding of him being quiet and the ignoring of him when barking, with the collar that may help. I have seen others saying the collars have helped, so crossing fingers for you.
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 11:48 AM
    No, trying my best not reinforcing the barking- negative particularly. I give him lots of attention, mostly it's just the animals and me here at home.

Have to admit rewarding him for being quiet is something I am short on.

He does not like men, that's very clear, and he'll bark at any male at the door, but oddly enough, on a leash when I walk the two dogs together with a tether, he's friendly as pie to everybody, even men.

I am hoping for a miracle with this collar. Just don't want to miss something that might help with its success.

Once he starts barking he just won't stop. I'll keep on with the new collar and see what happens.

Thanks Mogrann- he'll get more hugs when he's actually quiet.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
    Sounds like it is a nervous bark. When he is tethered he feels secure as the other dog is with him. I am not sure if that helps with the dealing of it.
    The people I know that have used it have said after awhile the sound of the collar (pssh sound) is what stops them from barking.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 02:53 PM
    I love the citronella collar, it worked wonders for my yappy dog, and best of all, it doesn't hurt them at all. :)

One suggestion that I thought of because of what you posted. When company comes over try tethering him to you. Leash on him, and wrapped around your waist (make sure the leash is long enough so he still has some give). If he's okay on walks, it may be the safety of being on a leash, attached to you, whom he trusts. Having the leash on him when company comes over may help him deal with his anxiety, and it sounds like anxiety is what's causing him to bark.
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 03:41 PM
    Interesting observation! I always wondered why he was so good on the leash with the little Boston, and a total hellion otherwise. I am going to try that with the leash tethered to me. I did not come across that in my searching online.

Easy enough to put the leash on, it's on a hook right by the front door! Can't wait to try that.

And Mogrann, I can see his insecurity with that barking sometimes. He had a rough go in the beginning. It took two technicians leashed to him, one on each side, just to get him to the examining room in the beginning! He was wound up and spinning. He's come a long, long way.

Thanks for the tips ladies!!
    Pets Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 03:56 PM
    You do know that we'll want pictures of the two little fur babes. :)
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 07:13 AM
    Well, last night there were some unexpected visitors at the door, and I quickly put Jakes collar on and that was all I had time for. Well, he barked up a storm!! I thought, oh no! The collar isn't working.

Then I realized it was probably empty... d'uhh. I will keep trying.

Here is a pic of each of them.
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
    OMG! They're so cute. I love the little hammer toy in the mouth.

They both look like very happy content dogs. :)
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 02:32 PM
    Aww thanks Alty. They are really sweet dogs. They've become good pals over the past year, always looking out for each other. Little Charlie the Boston has taken a liking to the cats as well. He waits for the older cat at the back door every night until she scratches on the screen to come in.

That hammer really suited Jake I thought. Lol
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    Aww thanks Alty. They are really sweet dogs. They've become good pals over the past year, always looking out for each other. Little Charlie the Boston has taken a liking to the cats as well. He waits for the older cat at the back door every night until she scratches on the screen to come in.

That hammer really suited Jake I thought. Lol
    I've always been a fan of the Boston terrier, and poodles too. The first dog I was actually old enough to care for, and really remember, was a poodle, named Silver. I got him when I was 11. He died when I was 6 months pregnant with Jared (I was 27 then). He wasn't a tiny puppy when we got him. He was 18 when he passed away. Good long life. But you, the barking was always an issue. Silver also hated little kids. He just couldn't tolerate them.

I love the Boston terriers. My husband isn't a fan. Not that he doesn't like them, he just has a whole list of other breeds he likes more. His favorite is the beagle. I find that funny. We have a beagle, our little 5 year old Chewy. I was the one that researched the breed, and had to talk Rod into getting one because he felt they were too small. Now they're the best of friends and he has said that we'll always have a beagle in our home. Go figure. :)

Me, I miss having a poodle, or a poodle cross even. Rod grew up with a poodle, and likes the breed, he just finds them too yappy, which they can be. But they're also very smart, one of the smartest breeds. A little training goes a long way with these guys. Beagles, they're dumber than a post. They really are. But so loveable. :)
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 06:40 PM
    My husband's name is Rod! He was the one that said years ago, that he really liked the Boston Terrier, but I never gave it much thought. We ended up with different dogs over the years, but always pound puppies. Our second last dog was a border collie cross, he lasted 18 years. The vet even loved that dog, he was the best helper when the kids were young.

Happened that my son brought a Boston home from S. Korea, and I fell in love with that dog. Thus began my search, and eventually found Charlie through Loyal Rescue, who brought him to Canada from a puppy mill in Ohio.

I love Beagles too. A friend of mine had one that lived a good long life also. I remember him being really good with her kids when they were small.

I think I love them all really. It is really, really difficult to say 'no'. But, with vet bills being what they are, and having 4 animals, it's just out of the question.

Time for 'last pee', so off I go. I sprained my ankle last Tuesday, and this hobbling around is keeping these two dogs grounded from their walks. Not to mention the weather has been totally beautiful and I'm getting very cranky. Ha!
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 06:58 PM
    We have a lot in common. Rod is my husband. Not a very common name. Right now I have a beagle, and a border collie. Before that we had Indy (our lab cross, passed away at the ripe old age of 16) and Jasper (our border collie cross rescue pup that suddenly died only 5 months after Indy. He was 10 years old).

I also hurt my ankle yesterday. I don't think it's sprained, it just hurts to walk on it. Okay, maybe it's sprained and I'm in denial. ;)

I have a zoo. There's the 2 dogs (Chewy the beagle, and Rascal the border collie) 4 rabbits (Cotton, Thumper, Oreo, and Kilala) 2 birds, cockatiels (Marty and Bo) 3 Gerbils (Squeakers, Kippo and Foo Foo cuddly poops) and two fish (Goldie and Fang).

My daughter wants to be a vet. That's been her dream since she was old enough to talk. She's 11 now, and it's still her dream. I'm encouraging that dream. I figure that even if I have to pay for her education, or help her pay, once she's done I'll get free vet care. Totally worth it! :)
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 07:29 PM
    Jake, I used the spray collar on my last Beagle, Sparky. It worked really well, and eventually you won't need to fill it all of the time. So far, (fingers crossed), the new puppy isn't a barker. She is almost 6 months, so I'm not sure if it will last, but I'm hopeful. Good luck with your rescues!
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Jake, I used the spray collar on my last Beagle, Sparky. It worked really well, and eventually you won't need to fill it all of the time. So far, (fingers crossed), the new puppy isn't a barker. She is almost 6 months, so I'm not sure if it will last, but I'm hopeful. Good luck with your rescues!
    Dream on TJ. Chewy didn't start the beagle bay and bark until he was around a year old. :)
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Dream on TJ. Chewy didn't start the beagle bay and bark until he was around a year old. :)
    :( she barks, but not much. She's definitely afraid of the dogs next door. I hope we don't have another barker, but I'll deal with that when it comes. In the meantime, she's quiet.
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    :( she barks, but not much. She's definitely afraid of the dogs next door. I hope we don't have another barker, but I'll deal with that when it comes. In the meantime, she's quiet.
    Sorry, don't mean to discourage you. It's just that she's a beagle. Beagles do what beagles do, and we love them anyway. :)
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Alty, if there is any swelling or bruising on that ankle, best get it checked out. Mine was a pretty bad sprain, but nothing broken.

And thanks teacherJenn! I have great hopes for this collar. When he had it on today he was very timid, but the quiet was heavenly!
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    Alty, if there is any swelling or bruising on that ankle, best get it checked out. Mine was a pretty bad sprain, but nothing broken.

And thanks teacherJenn! I have great hopes for this collar. When he had it on today he was very timid, but the quiet was heavenly!
    No swelling that I can see, just hurts to put pressure on it. And it's not all the time, just sometimes. So I'm guessing it's not too serious. I am seeing my doctor this week for something else though, so if it's still bothering me, I'll bring it up. :)

That collar really is great. I had tons of success with it and Jasper. I rented mine. It was a bit pricey to buy. After a month I didn't even need it anymore. As long as he was wearing a collar he assumed it was the spray collar and didn't bark loudly. He did learn that if he barked very softly, it wouldn't set off the collar. But the soft bark was nothing at all, and didn't bother us, or the neighbors. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Barking [ 21 Answers ]

My 10 month old lab/pit mix barks only at me. Not my boyfriend or my kids. Why would she do this?

Obnoxious Barking [ 2 Answers ]

HI, my aunt got another dog about 2 years ago and she is about 10 yrs old. She is VERY active and loves going for walks. Whenever I get the dogs collars she goes crazy and runs around and barks nonstop really loud and it's annoying. It's worse when my aunt gets home. When my aunt arrives...

Barking. [ 36 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old puppy, and he barks at everything, he hears paper move and he barks. I am moving in to basement suite and can't have him barking at everything, I don't know how to stop him from barking.

Barking Dog going to be taken away! [ 6 Answers ]

My friends boyfriend has an Akita that is disrupting the neighborhood with constant barking. She has a doggie door, and loves to be outside. She doesn't bark when there is someone home, but as soon as they leave, the barking is constant! If she is left inside during the day when they are at...

How to control barking. [ 12 Answers ]

I have three dogs and they love to bark, two are big and the other is medium sized so they make allot of noise. Since we live in the suburbs, there are lottes of other dogs and various noises to set hem off. I am afraid that they are annoying my neighbors. Any one got any advice?

View more questions Search