Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SherriB13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2013, 11:09 AM
    501c3 rules
    I am the President of a 501(c)(3). We are having a fund raiser and have asked "vendors" to sell at the fund raiser. Question - do we need to ask the vendors to charge tax on items sold or are they beneath our umbrella of the 501(c)(3) and do not need to collect taxes? All of the money received from the event will go to the charities we support.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
    Please clarify your relationship to these vendors. Are the vendors being paid for their wares by their customers and then donating some $$ to you? Or are you being paid directly by customers, and if so how do the vendors get reimbursed for the cost of their wares?

Also, rules about sales tax for items sold by a 501(c)(3) vary by state, so please tell us what state you are in.
    SherriB13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2013, 11:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Please clarify your relationship to these vendors. Are the vendors being paid for their wares by their customers and then donating some $$ to you? Or are you being paid directly by customers, and if so how do the vendors get reimbursed for the cost of their wares?

Also, rules about sales tax for items sold by a 501(c)(3) vary by state, so please tell us what state you are in.
    We are in Arizona. We will handle all of the sales and write a check to the vendors minus 15% of their sales which they are giving back to our organization.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 04:56 AM
    In AZ it seems that 501(c)(3) organizations do not have to collect sales tax on retail sales, though the city where the fund raiser is taking place may have its own rules. From: http://www.azdor.gov/Portals/0/Brochure/501.pdf :

"The following types of transactions are not subject to the state's TPT. (Cities impose their taxes separately from the state. Contact the cities for information about exemptions from city privilege and use taxes.) ..... 6. Retail sales made by a non-profit charitable §501(c)(3) organization that is recognized by the IRS as anon-profit charitable organization. (This pertains to sales by the organization, not purchases.)"

The bad news is that I believe the 501(c)(3) will have to pay sales tax to the vendors, since you are in effect buying the goods for resale. Sales to a non-profit in most cases except for health care organizatins are not exempt from sales tax in AZ. I don't believe your "charitable umbrella" covers them, unless they use the proceeds of their sales for charitable purposes.

I think you might be better off having the vendors sell their wares directly to customers and pledge to donate a percentage of their proceeds to you. That approach saves you from dealing with the sales tax issue and gives them a charitable deduction they wouldn't otherwise have, so everyone comes out ahead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501C3 Rules [ 2 Answers ]

We are a North Carolina 501c3 organization. We are contemplating a change in our title as it appears on our charter. What steps must we take to accomplish a legal change of our name? Is this something we can do without the need to engage services of legal council? Thank you for your help

501c3 rules [ 1 Answers ]

If my church organization currently owes the IRS would my 501(c)(3) status be affected?

501c3 rules? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is on the dance team at a studio in our community. This year they started a parent run 501c3 organization to raise funds to support expenses associated with the dance team. They have required that each dance team family pay $25.00 in "membership" dues per semester. In talking with...

501c3 rules? [ 1 Answers ]

I discovered my 501c3 has been suspended. I'm putting together all the information required to re-instate the foundation and wonder how long it will take. Any idea?

501c3 rules [ 2 Answers ]

Under 501c3 - What are the guidelines for giving a monetary gift to a family in Financial Need? What if one of the family is a board member?

View more questions Search