Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    squidmant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2013, 08:24 PM
    Can children get benefits
    My children's mother abandoned them roughly 10 yrs ago.. Are they eligible to receive ss benefits from her? Does the law consider a parent dead if they have abandoned their children for a certain amount of time?
    Thank You
    ROB
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 08:52 PM
    What State, Province, Country?

Did you file for child support in the last 10 years since she left?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2013, 06:53 AM
    Yes abandonment does not change a child's eligibility for SS benefits that would otherwise be due them.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Yes abandonment does not change a child's eligibility for SS benefits that would otherwise be due them.
    If OP is asking about death benefits, I believe the question of presumptive death would probably be a matter of state law. Then again, Social Security may well have regulations to address the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Children and ssd benefits [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I am a little confused. I am married with 2 young children, 1 and 6. I got approved for disability the same day my husband did! We have not received our checks yet, the judge just say he approved us. So since we are both on disability and we have two children how do the children get benefits?...

Disability benefits for children of the disabled [ 0 Answers ]

I've been receiving SSDI since 2004. I gave birth to a daughter on March 2006. When me and my husband went to apply for our daughter's social security number we asked the clerk if she qualifies for any benefits back in 2006. The clerk said, that she doesn't because at that time they have not been...

Disability benefits with children? [ 0 Answers ]

My 13 year old brother gets a check from ss because our mom gets disability, if he comes to live with me will will I get his check or will our mother still get it?

Children to get ssi benefits [ 2 Answers ]

My daughters father receives ssi disability he claims it is supplemental but he was court ordered to pay child support and I need to know what to do about my daughter drawing from the ssi.

View more questions Search