Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaronkronitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2013, 03:50 PM
    How long after major stomach surgery will dogs start to eat again
    My four year old pittbull had major stomach surgery two days ago from eating multiple socks that had him completely full. The surgery went well and his physical condition is good, but his lack of appetite is my concern. How long after a procedure like this will my dog start to eat again. The vet did say he was very lucky to make it through and that he had a lot of brusing and trauma from those foreign bodies...
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 04:41 PM
    The general rule is nothing by mouth for 48 hours, however depending on how much damage was done, how extensive the surgery was, and his overall condition at this point in his recovery his vet may see fit to do differently.
    Is he still hospitalized and on fluids?
    I gather that he is not wanting to eat, is that correct?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog will not eat his but he will eat other dogs food [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 week yorkie he will not eat his food but if I dump it on the floor he will but he does not eat all of it and it is hard to picup because it sticks to the floor but when I take him to my moms he eats all of her dogs food what should I do

Will a dog eat after major surgery [ 35 Answers ]

My dog had surgery for Femoral Head Necrosis today, they said he did really well. He is on an IV and pain med and doesn't want to eat, is that OK? I'm just so afraid for him. Will it take a long time to recover after this surgery and do you think he should stay crated? Should I make him boiled...

What can be taken to promote healing post major surgery? [ 1 Answers ]

I will be going into hospital soon to have major corrective surgery done. I would like to find out if there is anything that I can take before and after the surgery that would promote the healing and possibly speed up the healing process?

My dog will not eat after major surgery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My dog had major surgery 5 days ago for an intestinal blockage. His last meal was 7 days ago and he hasn't eaten since. He has been back to the vet everyday and has been given painkillers, anti biotics, appetite stimulants and muscle relaxants but still there is no interest in food. He is...

View more questions Search